Dalesman

treevor

I was lucky to purchase 2 Dalesmans at the weekend with a load of spares to go with them.

First thing is; Along with the spares was a folder which has a Puch engine manual in it with full parts list and numbers, exploded diagrams and some other litarature.

Second thing; one of the petrol tanks is the fibreglass tank/seat unit. How do you think this will cope with todays petrol?

Trevor

I was lucky to purchase 2 Dalesmans at the weekend with a load of spares to go with them.

First thing is; Along with the spares was a folder which has a Puch engine manual in it with full parts list and numbers, exploded diagrams and some other litarature.

Second thing; one of the petrol tanks is the fibreglass tank/seat unit. How do you think this will cope with todays petrol?

Trevor

You may need to line the fuel tank anyway as it is over 30 years old now. I have an original Dalesman tank decal I am going to get reproduced for the Puch engined bikes, would you be interested in a couple of sets for your acquisitions? A chap in the USA wants a few sets already!

Big John

Very badly. Old fibreglass will desolve very quickly.

You can try to line it or better still get an alloy one.

Take a look at this and several previous topics.. Just search for ethanol.

Is this one of the ones you bought? It was at the show last weekend.

Dalesman%20Puch.jpg

I saw that bike, mark 1 Dalesman Puch from 1968/69, with the Puch moped forks and front hub, would look good with a set of stickers on it, mind you that version had a green sticker with the original green and black Puch emblem.

Big John

Howdo Guys, I saw that one to and took loads of pictures but its not what I bought.

One of mine has an alloy tank with nice stickers on it Big John but I will have some off you for spares, let me know what you want and I will dosh you up.

Mine came from Cumbria and there are two complete bikes and an extra engine, four spare barrels with heads and pistons, four spare wheels, three spare ignitions and two sets of spare forks, oh and a couple of spare carbs, one Bing and one Concentric with a manifold. He threw in a set of betor forks and some old chrome rims as well.

I will use the fibreglass tank to make a mold I think and then see if I can seal it with the Caswell stuff.

The best thing for me though was getting the manual with it, that means I don't have to pull an engine in bits to see how it is put together and take pics. Anyone want a copy I'm sure we can come to some arrangement.

Is the Green in the pic an original colour? mine is more Italjet/Kawasaki green and I want to take it back to standard. The tank/seat unit is light blue, what colour frame would of gone with that?

Thanks for help so far guys, any other info will be appreciated, I may even do the rebuild in a blog on here

Trevor

The green paint on the frame of the bike in the photo is very close to the original colour. There was once a Tractol enamel that was a close match, I think it may have been called Mid Green.

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll keep you informed about the tank decals.

Big John

Congrats on the Dalesman find.

Big John, keep me on the list for the tank decals.

Here is a pic of mine as found. It's starting to come together but I just can't seem to keep it at the top of the list of things to do.

00_1.jpg

Edited by kanur

Congrats on the Dalesman find.

Big John, keep me on the list for the tank decals.

Here is a pic of mine as found. It's starting to come together but I just can't seem to keep it at the top of the list of things to do.

00_1.jpg

PM me with your e-mail address please!

Big John

• 2 weeks later...

The green paint on the frame of the bike in the photo is very close to the original colour. There was once a Tractol enamel that was a close match, I think it may have been called Mid Green.

Send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll keep you informed about the tank decals.

Big John

Hi guys,I was reading with interest about colour scheme's and tank decals I don't really know what mine was supposed to be or look like. It is a 1973 Dalesman mx build #50.Alloy tank and silver(hammertone)frame

Are the forks ceriani? they are 33mm I think? I need to re-chrome or replace.Don't know why the exhuast is so low...any thoughts?.

I have uploaded some pic's to flickr.com search for Jock_C-Dalesman

Regards Jock

Edited by jock

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

I got the chance to work on one of the Dalesmans I bought over the Easter/Wedding bank holiday weekends and managed to get an engine together and put in a rolling chassis, I just pulled her out of the shed to try and start her and Wheyhey third kick off she went. Back in now and working like mad to get her built to try on weds night.

Hey Mike, sorry for delayed reply about the chassis on German Ebay, it is certainly not a Dalesman frame but I don't have enough knowledge of the classic trials frames to tell you what it is sorry.