1973 sherpa 250 m91

miketaco

ok i bought a sherpa off ebay a while ago with the view to restore and ride, i've done 3 trials on it and want to get a few things done before the sammy miller rounds start. first off forks, im going to be riding the harder routes on this bike so with that in mind, can anyone recomend springs, oil and amount? also has anyone altered the fork angle? i've already got a mikuni vm26 in the garage and was hoping to use it but havnt got a clue what the jetting would be, anyone had any experience with these. Also thinking about skimming a little off the fly wheel to improve response, but worried i'll sacrefice grip. Going to lower and replace the footrests aswell. if anyone can help with any of these would be much apreciated, also if u have any other mods that are worth doing let me know. mike.

I have Magical fork spring kit in my 340 and it works very well with 10W oil about 180cc

The Bultaco will cope with the Sammy Miller sections no problem, there is no need to modify the head angle. Agreed it improves steering but for that series it isn't necessary, there is nothing it won't steer around. You could always fit 360mm shocks which is what I did on an M49 I rode in the series a few years ago.If yours is the series 2 M91 they steer pretty well anyway.

I haven't a clue about Mikuni jetting so can't help with that. I did fit an OKO to an M92 and it only needed minor change to main and pilot jets, it ran well straight out of the box.

Skimming the flywheel is personal choice but again, there is nothing that a standard 250 motor can't cope with in the Miller series, it's a good strong torquey motor. My M49 had no problems. With taking weight off the flywheel I'd be more worried about losing low end plonk than anything else as the engine will stall easier meaning you'll be relying on the clutch more at slow speeds. The Bultos will lug right down to nothing with the standard weights.

As a purely personal opinion, the best prep you could give the bike for that series is to ensure that the motor is set up right, carburation is correct and exhaust functioning properly. Good tyres. Get the front and rear suspension working correctly and get the riding position comfortable with bars and footrest position. If all that is correct it will make a marked difference on how the bike performs. Ride a few events with it and if you still feel it is necessary move onto the steering and flywheel mods, but I'm confident you'll find it isn't worth it. I've ridden both the M49 and KT250 in the Miller rounds hard route, they are similar handling bikes and both cope no problem.

Re Magicals

I understand that " Magicals " includes rear shocks and fork spring kits

Does the range also include FORK VALVE KITS for the BETOR forks on Bultacos

Finally, can someone provide me with the name and email of a UK based supplier

Re Magicals

Hi Mate

Try this for the Magicals

craig@themagicals.co.uk

Paul Mac

Hi

Bike settings are down to your personal choice.

I have modified the yokes and had the head spindle rebored and sleeved so that the forks were parallel with the head.

I have gone the Magical route and it transformed the bike, worth every penny!

Mikuni. On my 80 series engine with ported barrel the jetting is Pilot 37, Needle Jet 182 N-8, Jet Needle 5F21, Throttle valve 2.5 and Main air Jet 2.0. raised the needle 1 notch from standard

Bear in mind these setting work on my bike and suit me.

Woody is right you don't need to play around with the steering for the SM Series, however i preferred my bike after the yokes were modified.

See you in May at round 1.

Regards

Martin

Re Magicals

They are rear shocks, various types - single spring, multiple springs, fixed or adjustable damping.

The front fork kits consist of a new progressive spring, internal adjustable spacer and the Magical fork cap with adjustable preload. There is no valving kit for the damping.

Hi

Bike settings are down to your personal choice.

I have modified the yokes and had the head spindle rebored and sleeved so that the forks were parallel with the head.

I have gone the Magical route and it transformed the bike, worth every penny!

Mikuni. On my 80 series engine with ported barrel the jetting is Pilot 37, Needle Jet 182 N-8, Jet Needle 5F21, Throttle valve 2.5 and Main air Jet 2.0. raised the needle 1 notch from standard

Bear in mind these setting work on my bike and suit me.

Woody is right you don't need to play around with the steering for the SM Series, however i preferred my bike after the yokes were modified.

See you in May at round 1.

Regards

Martin

Hello Martin

I am very interested how you modified the top yokes,what do mean by the forks are parallel with the head. Thanking you in advance Hightown