240/300 Flywheel Covers...new production

lee harris

....i just got a case today, when it turned up it was from a 300 (I was gutted) ....

According to this later 240s were fitted with the same cover as the 300. I have two 240s; one with an engine number below 8500 and the early casing, and one with an engine number above 8500 and the later casing, so it seems to be true and your cover isn't actually wrong.

Lee, from your comment above about having a 241 motor - will a 240 cover fit on any of the later crankcases or is the hole spacing different. I know the later flywheels are bigger (but I have a plan for that).

I am sure they will fit and the spacing is the same...and I have the same plan as you. Ducati flywheel from a 303 or 305, turned down to fit inside and then a huge flywheel weight....already on the go

L

I am sure they will fit and the spacing is the same...and I have the same plan as you. Ducati flywheel from a 303 or 305, turned down to fit inside and then a huge flywheel weight....already on the go

L

Same plan - I am going to use a 245 motor with the flywheel machined down and a leaded bronze weight fitted. With the 300/later 240 cover fitted the raised pattern on the clutch & ignition covers will even match :D

Same plan - I am going to use a 245 motor with the flywheel machined down and a leaded bronze weight fitted. With the 300/later 240 cover fitted the raised pattern on the clutch & ignition covers will even match :D

i will keep yer posted on the cover. do the same on the flywheel please. there are loads of ducati sxstems out there and motoplatts or ducatis for 300s are few and far betweenb

Just to be different i've raised my 243 donor engine in my 240 chassis. Its taken two guys working for 3hours cutting and welding. The exhaust is modified so are the front engine brackets. The carb lines up better with the standard air box rubber, better than standard and i can remove the exhaust without having to remove the cylinder head. These ideas are all from the 243 setup, which is an excellent donor bike. Now what i want to know is what is Gerd riding at Exmoor Lee?

Just to be different i've raised my 243 donor engine in my 240 chassis. Its taken two guys working for 3hours cutting and welding. The exhaust is modified so are the front engine brackets. The carb lines up better with the standard air box rubber, better than standard and i can remove the exhaust without having to remove the cylinder head. These ideas are all from the 243 setup, which is an excellent donor bike. Now what i want to know is what is Gerd riding at Exmoor Lee?

MAYBE THIS ONE

http://www.korallin.us/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=9958

OR THIS

http://www.korallin.us/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=9988

POSSIBLY THIS

http://www.korallin.us/wbb2/attachment.php?attachmentid=10219

but I think his favorite is a std 340....I dont have piccies...

like mine

fanticbitzs011.jpg

but finished.

Interesting who is coming. twice German champ ortwinn sann.....got 67 marks on start route last year, 3 times runner up gerd, got 88 on start route and the new kid on the block...arnold kopf. wonn this year the german championship...has never been to the uk.

i have my makeup case packed for the gentlemanns route, maybe erwin also.

post some puiccies of your 240 now

L

Its good to read the pro German riders will be competing at Exmoor and Gerd is riding an all new Fantic special called a 340. Gerd had a better result than me the other year. This is definately not a big deal for me i am 10 years older than Gerd and his 240 was far more advanced than mine. I'm not the kind of person that goes on about this as you know, we all ride for fun not to beat each other and I wasn't well the other year. I think I had a problem with me leg and my 240 wasn't 100%. I'm really not that interested in what Gerd's riding you know I was just a little surprised in a good way that he's riding a better bike for this years even. The 340 bikes spec and tyres are normal I suspect do you know what they are? Not to worry if you don't. Perhaps a few drinks the night before, Gerd likes a good drink this should relax him before the first days ride. Exmoor is only a fun trial and i'm still putting my bike together.

Those links go to a German website that asks for registration.

Edited by spud1968

Its good to read the pro German riders will be competing at Exmoor and Gerd is riding an all new Fantic special called a 340. Gerd had a better result than me the other year. This is definately not a big deal for me i am 10 years older than Gerd and his 240 was far more advanced than mine. I'm not the kind of person that goes on about this as you know, we all ride for fun not to beat each other and I wasn't well the other year. I think I had a problem with me leg and my 240 wasn't 100%. I'm really not that interested in what Gerd's riding you know I was just a little surprised in a good way that he's riding a better bike for this years even. The 340 bikes spec and tyres are normal I suspect do you know what they are? Not to worry if you don't. Perhaps a few drinks the night before, Gerd likes a good drink this should relax him before the first days ride. Exmoor is only a fun trial and i'm still putting my bike together.

Those links go to a German website that asks for registration.

not exactly "pro" caliber but the best riding ts trials.

Gerd rode twice now and thinks hes got the slippery rocks sussed. Ortwin still beat him first time out. Arnold, new kid will pro beat both...

Arnold 240 is not trick, its a shed. I would be embarresed to ride it and yet he still wins. Ortler has a std 300 with keihin carby. Gerd and I have modded 240 frames with 300 motors. I run a keihin, gerd a mikuni.

As you said, fun is what we want!

Gettin back to the thread, post some piccies cliff, I wanna see how much you lifted the front and what cuts and welds were made to the exhaust

speak soon

PS. I havent done yer kickers yet..

So Arnold is the man, obviously very talented so he can ride the sections first to keep things fair. Are you riding Star Route this year?

I'd like to post a photo or two but unfortunately the bike is in bits and this weekend i'm racing an enduro, so my focus is prepping the enduro bike. Next Saturday i'll have some time spare thou. Would you happen to know the manufacturers piston to bore clearance tolerance on a 212cc engine i've three pistons but not sure which one to fit?

The engine was raising between 12-14mm. The clearance allows a 16th of an inch rubber spacer to sit between the bottom of the magneto casing and frame. The engine raise was more of a case of lifting the engine until the case cleared insert the rubber spacer and then mark that position for modifying the standard front engine brackets because of the tilt. If you bring along to Exmoor a standard set of 240 front engine brackets i'll remove my modified brackets for you to measure. The exhaust is a little more complex with two cuts one permanant the other for positioning. Bring your camera for that and some spanners if your really interested. Call me or facebook me the accomadation for what your arranging. Once the engine is done its time to move onto the suspension and brakes, so lots to do.

• 4 months later...

i will keep yer posted on the cover. do the same on the flywheel please. there are loads of ducati sxstems out there and motoplatts or ducatis for 300s are few and far betweenb

It's taken me a while to get round to doing this but here it is:

21a825143125509.jpg 0f4af1143125609.jpg

Leaded bronze would have been eye wateringly expensive as it turns out, so I made the weight from steel instead. The modified flywheel with the new weight has the same moment of inertia as the 245 one with the big weight fitted (the other flywheel in the picture).

How have you got on with your flywheel covers Lee?