Homemade Obstacles

I've built a bunch of stuff in my yard. Funny thing.....was working on building a splatter wall out of railway ties this aft, when a small t-storm blew in and so I came inside and figured I would cruise TC a bit, and stumbled on this thread.

Just dug in a large wire spool and laid out some larger tires horizontally.

Here's what I had last year, including pics of my portable teeter totter:

http://www.tarafrost.com/galleries/Obstacle_Course.html

When I get the latest stuff finished, I'll update the page with some new photos.

Wire spools make a good, movable obstacle. They can usually be found for free- just cut them off center to miss all the steel. These are about 48" in diameter . You can see the long board to the left(above)- it is three 10' 2x6s with hinges so I can fold it up and move it. Great practice!

Very cool idea, Gandalf.

I like that you get two obstacles from each spool, one smaller and one larger. Adding the boards around the perimiter is a great idea too!

I have 4 spools kicking around, and I now plan to do this with them! Since I cart the obstacles around to some club events (scorra.ca), the portability is sweet!

Muchos gracias for posting the pics.....I would have never thought of doing this myself!

How did you cut the spools? I'm thinking some rough carpentry with my chainsaw to make it fast and easy.... :hyper:

I got energetic today and built my splatter wall!

Check out the photos of the new obstacles here:

http://www.tarafrost...cle_Course.html

I got energetic today and built my splatter wall!

Check out the photos of the new obstacles here:

http://www.tarafrost...cle_Course.html

Great teeter totter I have been meaning to build one. Have you tried moving the balance point left or right? you will need to ride out a bit further before it tips but all good fun :).

Here is an idea for the spools you have as spares...

P1020046.jpg

Great teeter totter I have been meaning to build one. Have you tried moving the balance point left or right? you will need to ride out a bit further before it tips but all good fun

The balance point is offset about 4-6" to one end, that way the board resets automatically after you ride it. Moving the balance point sounds like a fun idea!

Here is an idea for the spools you have as spares...

Very cool! Thanks for the pic!

I think I'm going to go with Gandalf's suggestion (split 'em in half and add slats) since then they will be more portable, and easier to set up in different configurations.

• 1 month later...

• 1 year later...