TY Twinshock with mono gearbox

shedco

Hello, I recently spotted a well known UK majesty 250 riders bike that looked like it had a TY mono gearbox/ crankcases on it.

Has anybody seen or know of this mod?

It had the twinshock barrel & head, the frame down tubes were altered & it has a mono bashplate.

If I'm correct it must take some time to get running right?!!!

Hello, I recently spotted a well known UK majesty 250 riders bike that looked like it had a TY mono gearbox/ crankcases on it.

Has anybody seen or know of this mod?

It had the twinshock barrel & head, the frame down tubes were altered & it has a mono bashplate.

If I'm correct it must take some time to get running right?!!!

Dont know the bike you are talking about but if that is indeed so then it is most definate illegal for use in ACU Championship events.

You didnt see it at one of our events did you? If so i would appreciate it if you PM me, if you dont want to name on here, as it will also not be eligable at our events and i will need to amend any Championship scores to reflect this.

It is nigh on impossible to check every bike but i do my best to try to monitor any cheats at our events. One thought they would get away with disc brakes :chairfall: but they got caught. Not a hard one that. They would be welcome to ride but would NOT be eligable to score Club Championship points and as we also will be holding 3 rounds of the ACU Classic Championship for which this machine would most definately be a no no it's important to know who it is.

You have my number anyway if you would sooner ring me.

Thanks.

Not illegal at all, in fact one "twinshock" bike with a TY250 mono engine has competed in the ACU classic series regularly.

I doff my cap to you. After checking, i must have been dreaming oops, you are TOTALLY correct. The only restriction is that a twinshock must be as the ACU handbook states "Twinshocks Machines with twinshock rear suspension and drum brakes as at time of manufacture". Page 207 of the 2011 handbook.

So you can run any engine you like as i cant even find a reference to the engine even being air cooled. I therefore appologise profusely and have already slapped my wrists.

The only thing i can possibly put my lapse down to is that i was part of a discussion with some ACU officials and the topic under discussion was the proliferation of cheat bikes namely converted air cooled monos. The ACU intention was to nip this in the bud as they already had a class for air cooled monos and didnt want these cheat bikes to ruin the twinshock class. However in wording the rules how they did they addressed the issue of converting the frames whilst missing the obvious bigger advantage of using a much more modern engine, lighter , better performance, more gears etc etc. I do remember pointing this out but somewhere in the mix they chose not to include the engine in the 2011 handbook. Whether this obvious omission will be addressed in the 2012 handbook i dont know but i will try to find out.

So hopefully appology accepted and i'm now off to the garage to graft a water cooled mono engine into my Majesty or shall i mod the fantic ooooh decisions decisions.

I doff my cap to you. After checking, i must have been dreaming oops, you are TOTALLY correct. The only restriction is that a twinshock must be as the ACU handbook states "Twinshocks Machines with twinshock rear suspension and drum brakes as at time of manufacture". Page 207 of the 2011 handbook.

So you can run any engine you like as i cant even find a reference to the engine even being air cooled. I therefore appologise profusely and have already slapped my wrists.

The only thing i can possibly put my lapse down to is that i was part of a discussion with some ACU officials and the topic under discussion was the proliferation of cheat bikes namely converted air cooled monos. The ACU intention was to nip this in the bud as they already had a class for air cooled monos and didnt want these cheat bikes to ruin the twinshock class. However in wording the rules how they did they addressed the issue of converting the frames whilst missing the obvious bigger advantage of using a much more modern engine, lighter , better performance, more gears etc etc. I do remember pointing this out but somewhere in the mix they chose not to include the engine in the 2011 handbook. Whether this obvious omission will be addressed in the 2012 handbook i dont know but i will try to find out.

So hopefully appology accepted and i'm now off to the garage to graft a water cooled mono engine into my Majesty or shall i mod the fantic ooooh decisions decisions.

Had an update on this one which i just thought i would post. This only affects riders who compete in the ACU East Midlands Centre Classic Trials Championship.

I was discussing the above with a friend who organizes the aforementioned championship and he pointed out to me that that championship had the following machine eligability rule pertaining to twinshocks. "Twinshocks must use a frame origionally fitted with two rear shock absorbers at time of manufacture. Must be fitted with drum brakes and have an aircooled engine from a machine originally fitted with two rear shock absorbers at time of manufacture." We as a club chose to adopt these rules for all out rounds not just the ACU East Midlands Classic championship ones of which we run 3.

As posted before the major ACU Championships did not choose to include the clause about the engine just the frame and in one not even the drum brakes as they allow discs.

At least i now know i am not going mad just confused between championships.

Again appologies for any confusion.

Edited by Old trials fanatic