Brake Bleeding Saga.... HELP

gilbertdave

I can finally report... I've managed to get it done using the methods on here and with the application of an old head (cheers Dad).

I'd done some silly things which were making my life more difficult. I'd taken the whole front brake off the bike in order to get the master cylinder as high as possible (blah blah blah), but I'd also over looked re-fitted one of the fixing screws to the caliper... This meant once I'd got the brakes bled soe they were 90% there and was squeezing them against a piece of steel (same thickness as the brake disc) the two halves of teh caliper were opening ever so slightly and giving the effect of spongy brakes.

Still... got it sorted in the end and its back on the bike and at least appears not to be binding any more, so the efforts may have acheived something.

Thanks all...

been at it again today pushing fluid in master cyl then in through caliper tried suckin it through still got nothing should i start with the caliper pistons in or out i might have to give it up

I have completely bled my rear brakes 3 times already for various reasons. I know I should struggle bleeding it from what I have read, but actually every time has gone very easy. I use a combination of sucking and pushing the fluid with the syringe. It is a couple minute job.

I second that.

I remove the push rod from rear brake making sure the piston inside the master cylinder retracks all the way out.

Remove the fluid resorvar from the hose running down to mastercylinder.

Fill seringe (big one) with fluid and attach a peice of clear tube that fitts snugly into the hose that you just disconected the resorvar from and zip tie it to improve seal.

Push pistins all the way inside caliper.

Fit clear pipe to caliper end and run it into a container to catch fluid.

Open bleed nipple.

Now begin to push fluid using the seringe it will be ferm to push but should move. If fluid wont flow recheak mastercylinder pistin is not sticking.

Once all the air bubbles have stoped coming, close bleed nipple and cheak brake for presure (pumping push rod/lever for 20 pumps with something wedged inbetwn the pistons in the caliper until ferm).

When you are happy remove the hose from the mastercylinder end and reinstall resorvar, cheak fluid level.

Reasemble and go ride.

Once you have mastered this method it is quite literaly a 5 min job.

I also like the ideas of prefilling caliper and pushing the fluid back out to prime.

Hope this helps someone

• 8 months later...

I have just changed the pads on my Sherco and have had the same problem. The front set was fine and dandy and all went well but the rear was a bloody pain in the harris. I had trouble getting the new pads in and then puching the piston back, eventually done it and got the new pads in but there is no pressure on the foot pedal at all now. I did notice a bit of brake fluid that had come out, must have come from the nipple when I removed the caliper from the swing arm. As the resorvar is in a really awkward place Ill have to try and back bleed it. On reading the posts here on rear brakes it may be better to get someone else to do it. I have bled the brakes on my KTM with no problems but not sure about the Sherco...

Any suggestions?