Oil level sight glass

cobain

Hi All,

I have just rebuilt my Sherco 250 (2004) and filling it with oil it suprised me that there is no sight glass (as mates beta has) or dip stick? Put in 450ml of ATF in as recommended but I would like to be able to check how much is in there after a couple of hours running (without having to drain the oil). Has anyone modified the clutch cover to add a sight glass?

Hi All,

I have just rebuilt my Sherco 250 (2004) and filling it with oil it suprised me that there is no sight glass (as mates beta has) or dip stick? Put in 450ml of ATF in as recommended but I would like to be able to check how much is in there after a couple of hours running (without having to drain the oil). Has anyone modified the clutch cover to add a sight glass?

Great idea but the time consumed in making the determination of where to drill the hole in relation to where the oil level is would not be the best time spent. My dad always instructed me to "measure twice and drill once"!!!! This is one of those instances where it is probably not the best idea unless you have a lot of money to purchase side covers for trial and error.

Put in 450ml of ATF in as recommended

Who recommend that on a Sherco?

A sight glass is "weak and leak" spot anyway. One knock an it'll be p****** everywhere.

Best of balance.

Neo

Who recommend that on a Sherco?

A sight glass is "weak and leak" spot anyway. One knock an it'll be p****** everywhere.

Best of balance.

Neo

OK, maybe ATF wasn't recommended but 450ml was!

To determine the level I was going to make a temporary perspex cover in place of the round clutch cover, fill with 450ml, observe, start up, observe and work out the level from there. On the Beta the sight glass is fairly well protected by the water pump cover, was planning a similar location for protection.

Like others have said you've obviously never been out in the sticks and discovered you own a bike with a leaking site-glass :unsure:

It's like setting an egg-timer for home-time.

Be grateful that your bike doesn't have one :thumbup:

If that were me I would personally put a little more ATF in (maybe another 30/40cc)if ,as you say, you're filling it from rebuild (bone-dry) :icon_salut:

In my humble opinion.

• Dislike 1

OK, maybe ATF wasn't recommended but 450ml was!

To determine the level I was going to make a temporary perspex cover in place of the round clutch cover, fill with 450ml, observe, start up, observe and work out the level from there. On the Beta the sight glass is fairly well protected by the water pump cover, was planning a similar location for protection.

I cannot fathom just why you feel the need to see it. If you put 450 in, then you know whats in it. Now if you only get 250 out, then you have other problems. :rolleyes:

I sort of miss not haveing a sight glass on the 290..The 320 had one and all the gasser i've have had have them too.

I think on the four stroke its was more important as the service intervals are longer than the two stroke. It gives you a good idear of whats going on and if you need to top up before a big ride.

Can't rellay see you would ever knock or hit a rock with it,so would not see that as a problem..

The ones on the Gas Gas where very usefull, as both bikes where haveing problems with water pump seals and crank seals..

You only had to have a quick look and you see the oil was either milky or had gone down.This helped service the engine quicker after seeing the problem.

With the 290 i just change the oil every third ride and put 450ml of 10/40 back in...