Exhaust repack How/Why

hannu

My 2010 290 started ruining very flat towards the end of the last event, very oily around the exhaust too, So thought it may have been a bad fuel mix or crap in the carb. flushed all the old fuel out and stripped/cleaned the carb out and just taken it for a blast down the road.

Seems to pick up better but the exhaust is still very oily and on returning home form around a 2 mile road blast its also smoking more than I've seen before, (no nicorette jokes please)

Do you think the exhaust could be oiled up ? if so will it need repacking and how ?

My 2010 290 started ruining very flat towards the end of the last event, very oily around the exhaust too, So thought it may have been a bad fuel mix or crap in the carb. flushed all the old fuel out and stripped/cleaned the carb out and just taken it for a blast down the road.

Seems to pick up better but the exhaust is still very oily and on returning home form around a 2 mile road blast its also smoking more than I've seen before, (no nicorette jokes please)

Do you think the exhaust could be oiled up ? if so will it need repacking and how ?

Sounds like the crank seal has gone?

i doubt it's crank seal, there'd be a definite loss of power and it wouldn't have picked up better - what oil do you use and to what ratio, make sure airways and air filter are clean and clear and check the choke isnt sticking open or partially open

just my thoughts

tony

All trials bikes tend to get the exhaust bunged up with oil and carbon, going for a blast down a track or down the road if your taxed and insured, gets the exhaust hot enough to ignite the oily carbon residue hence the smoke, I personally find this the best and easiest way to clean the exhaust out.

You'll probably find that it will make the bike run better and make it sound a little less poppy unless you really over do it and burn all the packing out.

Unfortunately the only way to repack the exhaust is to cut it open, pull the old packing out, repack and weld it back together.

All trials bikes tend to get the exhaust bunged up with oil and carbon, going for a blast down a track or down the road if your taxed and insured, gets the exhaust hot enough to ignite the oily carbon residue hence the smoke, I personally find this the best and easiest way to clean the exhaust out.

You'll probably find that it will make the bike run better and make it sound a little less poppy unless you really over do it and burn all the packing out.

Unfortunately the only way to repack the exhaust is to cut it open, pull the old packing out, repack and weld it back together.

Does that apply to the older type exhaust too, 99-09?

Does that apply to the older type exhaust too, 99-09?

Pretty much all Sherco 2T's.

There is a way to bun it out that was very successful for me but you gotta be crazy (like me :madnoel: ) with no close neighbours to do it.

Or you can play it safe and find someone that does a muffler de-coking as a service in your area. This may not be the cure to your problem but one way or the other the bike will benefit in the future....After that make sure you use Fully Synthetic 2T oil at 80:1.

Best of balance.

Neo

Edited by Neo

A few thoughts on this one.

Firstly, I would think the '10 bike to be a bit too new for your average crank seal problem. This issue SEEMS to be related to deterioration of the seals over a period of time due to the alcohol induced fuels. I would estimate an average lifespan of 3 or so years for the standard seals based upon various reports, yet at the same time I say this, it would never hurt just to take a good measure on just how much gearbox oil comes out next change. If you put 450ml in and only got 250ml out, there is an issue. If seal issues are suspected, My current reccomendation is to go with the Viton seals which Chris at Splatshop has well sourced, as compared to the standard Nitrile seals for the sake of longevity, hopefully. Sorry if you are subjected to crap fuel like most of us! Not the fault of the bike!

The '99-'00 bikes had a muff similar to a Gasser and should be easier to repack as such. Not sure about the center section, as I have not owned one these.

'01 and up, I have never considered these practicle to repack. Only a few hard core hobbiests(with a tig welder in the shed) have done it. Point here being, one is well advised not to let them get all gunked up to begin with. Excess oil just accumulates in the motor and in the exhaust.

-1 Don't run more oil than you need, as we run Pro bikes on 80:1, most punters could easily run at 100:1. I have ot yet heard of any bikes of any makes having problems at those ratios. Under normal usage!

-2 Even at that rate, one needs to give the bike some stick at times to get some heat into the muff and burn things off via the smoking. The heat of just a couple hard runs through the gears many times gets the stuff moving and spattering out the tailpipe, which is better thanit laying up inside!

Edited by copemech

i doubt it's crank seal, there'd be a definite loss of power and it wouldn't have picked up better - what oil do you use and to what ratio, make sure airways and air filter are clean and clear and check the choke isn't sticking open or partially open

just my thoughts

tony

Hi Tony

Its 70:1 fully synthetic, air filter nearly new, Choke is fine,

Bike not lacking power since the clear out just Smokey,

I think Copemech has the right idea, and a couple of blast down the road should clear things out !

Bryan

Edited by Hannu

Hi Tony

Its 70:1 fully synthetic, air filter nearly new, Choke is fine,

Bike not lacking power since the clear out just Smokey,

I think Copemech has the right idea, and a couple of blast down the road should clear things out !

Bryan

Just use common sense and reduce your ratio a bit, keeps you from having all the excess buildup, but even at 80-90:1 bikes need a good hard run on occasion to keep things swooshed out, not to over do it, but get some heat into it!

Edited by copemech

• 4 weeks later...

Just trawling through old posts and spotted this. My G/F has a 125 Sherco, which we got "cheap" off fleabay. I have been going through it repairing/replacing bits where necessary, and had the exhaust system off the other day. I left it leant against the wall in my garage overnight, and found a pool of sticky black gunk had run out! Might be worth a try, just make sure you have something to catch the gunk in though, not the best thing to tread through the house, DAMHIK.

Mark

Just trawling through old posts and spotted this. My G/F has a 125 Sherco, which we got "cheap" off fleabay. I have been going through it repairing/replacing bits where necessary, and had the exhaust system off the other day. I left it leant against the wall in my garage overnight, and found a pool of sticky black gunk had run out! Might be worth a try, just make sure you have something to catch the gunk in though, not the best thing to tread through the house, DAMHIK.

Mark

Jeez, at least the goop is moving and flowing. Hopefully you can flush it good wiht some solvent like paint thinner(mineral spirits)then air dry. :rolleyes: