registering classic trials bike

Hi

I'd like to get my enfield crusader road legal , but ive only got the old log book style reg document and ive never changed to the modern doc as i believe the log book would have to be sent in and would be lost is this correct ? could anyone here clarify the procedure ?

thanks

greg

If the bike hasn't been registered/taxed for some time, you may discover the registration number has lapsed. Best thing you can do is contact the DVLA with all the bikes info and ask them how you can register it. I do believe they will allow you to keep an old registration book, best ask before sending it - they lose stuff. You can always claim you've only got a photocopy of the original logbook.

You can phone them on a 0300 freephone number, but I'd recommend you email them. That way you'll have a printable reply, as against being bombarded with info that you'll forget as soon as you put the phone down. There's a list of email contacts for vehicles here

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emaildvla/cegemail/directgov/en/vehicle_2.html

I'd use the last option

(Phone 0300 790 6802 - open 8am to 7pm ish)

faced with the same problem but even more extreme ( bike with no docs number plate whatso ever) all i had was a spare parts list from 20 years previously, with an address and a registration number. i just asked dvla for the v5 and it came in the post a week later job done..

• 4 months later...

I have a 1983 TLR200 and have a letter from Honda giving age and confirming that it was imported by Honda UK. DVLA will not accept registration unless I prove VAT has been paid on it. As there is evidence of this except Honda saying they brought it in, I am up against a stone wall. How do I go forward with this one?

I have a 1983 TLR200 and have a letter from Honda giving age and confirming that it was imported by Honda UK. DVLA will not accept registration unless I prove VAT has been paid on it. As there is evidence of this except Honda saying they brought it in, I am up against a stone wall. How do I go forward with this one?

If you can travel to another licencing centre try them instead. What yours is saying is garbage but as they can make their own rules up it is hard to fight against it. When the bikes are over a certain age I don't think the VAT issue applies anyway, but regardless of that, the fact that Honda say it was a genuine UK bike means VAT would have been paid.