New Tyres

adam1

Thanks Woody

I have one of the toffee tube type, and even at 5psi make cambers interesting.

Will try 6, still a good tyre overall.

Ross

If you buy them over the counter, you can tell if it has soft sidewalls or not. If you hold the tread of the tyre into your chest and pull the sidewalls apart, if they are soft you can peel them wide open. If they are ok you can only flex them a bit. At least, this is what I have found. I never mail order a tubed IRC as I want to know what I'm getting, so over the counter only.

This is the reason I'm slowly changing all my bikes to tubeless rear rims. The only available tubed rear tyre is the IRC (the Michelin Radial is as good as a slick in mud) I got fed up of spending hundreds travelling to events only to have a ride compromised by a tyre that doesn't behave as it should. There are no such problems with tubeless.

you wont need a beader to fit an irc as they come with cardboard between the rim.fitted dozens of them and never needed a beader yet.

I've not fitted that many but have certainly done ten IRC's (and probably the same number of Michelins) over the years, how do you get the IRC's to go on so easily?

Pete

I am a little confused now michelin or irc? Whats the main difference again?

Adam

Generally, you're only going to get replies from riders advising the tyre they prefer.

Fact is both will do the job, so neither will be a wrong choice whichever you buy. Unless you're top expert level you wouldn't tell any difference between the two.

I've no idea of the sort of terrain you ride on normally or whether you ride road trials. The IRC will perform better in mud, last longer, particularly with road use and continue to give grip in mud even when the edge is long gone. In my opinion there is as little as makes no difference between them on rocky going.

I use an IRC purely because I believe, in my opinion/experience, that they are better in mud, equal on rocks, wear at a slower rate and continue to give grip when quite worn - so you can get longer use from them

As said, it is only my opinion but both are excellent tyres so whichever you buy, it won't be a mistake.

Generally, you're only going to get replies from riders advising the tyre they prefer.

Fact is both will do the job, so neither will be a wrong choice whichever you buy. Unless you're top expert level you wouldn't tell any difference between the two.

I've no idea of the sort of terrain you ride on normally or whether you ride road trials. The IRC will perform better in mud, last longer, particularly with road use and continue to give grip in mud even when the edge is long gone. In my opinion there is as little as makes no difference between them on rocky going.

I use an IRC purely because I believe, in my opinion/experience, that they are better in mud, equal on rocks, wear at a slower rate and continue to give grip when quite worn - so you can get longer use from them

As said, it is only my opinion but both are excellent tyres so whichever you buy, it won't be a mistake.

:agreed:

Just had a Michelin front tyre put on, and the guy at the shop said he had difficulty beading it, said every time he let the air out to say 20psi the tyre popped of the rim

He has pumped it up really hard and told me to leave it over night, the only thing is I am at the Graham Jarvis school tomorrow and when I drop the pressure down to say 6-7 psi I am worried it might pop off again. Anyone got any ideas or help for me as I don't have a compressor or tyre changing equipment.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...