290 not running...

cabby

Stripped the carb yesterday, cleaned, back together, all running fine. Today, took the bike out for a play, all running fine, then it stopped and wouldn't start again.....me thinks, out of juice. Get's home, fills her up, but seems there was plenty fuel left in her anyway.

Strips carb again, puts new fuel filter in, all back together, fires it up....then lasts about 5 seconds and dies again. Kicks, it starts then dies, kicks, it starts then dies.....

Any ideas ???

How does one go about checking stator ?

Before you tear into the wiring loom and disturb those important ground wires.

Check the plug for a spark ..even if feint.

Is the plug dry or wet?

Even though the carb was cleaned is the bowl full of fuel?

Maybe a sticking float valve, or a vacuum in the tank. Sometimes stopping for a few minutes is enough time to fill the bowl up until the next time it runs dry, or until it creates another vacuum.

What year is the bike? Didn't I read you were on a 2010. If so check the vacuum pump is pumping when you kick the bike over, ...but careful to point the outlet hose away from the exposed plug sitting on top of the cylinder head! (Sorry Tony you beat me to it!)

:thumbup:

Edited by Shercoholic

is enough fuel getting to the float bowl, float valve or what trips it off may have bbeen disturbed sounds like only a little fuel is getting through

just a thought if it ran ok before

tony

It's a 2010, and there is deffo fuel coming from the pump to the carb. Took the hose off from the carb and it's flowing freely into the carb

There isn't a spark that I can see when cranking

Short of sticking your finger in the plug cap for your morning jolt, ...then give Chris Pearson a call at Splatshop as he is always really helpful, and I believe he has the stator readings, or he can give you the Bradford Motoplat info.

Found a loose wire coming from head back to the black box behind the head, problem is, that loose wire is now a broken wire.

Since put a connector in and get a spark, not much of a spark mind but more than I had earlier, still not enough to fire it in to life though.

Edited by Thedbf

Got it fired up today after removing the kill switch, then after a few seconds it dies again, dies in a manner that is different to what it might if it was fuel starvation, for example, if it was struggling for fuel it would stutter/splutter etc etc then cut off, this just revs fine for a short time then just dies... :wall: