Pre-65 Scottish

highland lassie

Hi Guy's.

From Amal!

Mark 1 1/2 Concentric Series Carburetter Types - were virtually identical to the Mark 1 series, except in that the tickler and air slide cold start enrichment's were replaced by a cold start system having its own fuel and air supplies, separate from those of the main carburetter. Body and bore sizes are as for the Mark 1 range. The main market for the product range was on Spanish motorcycles, although a few were used on very late model Triumph engines.

Yes But, can these not be disguised????? <_<

Regards Charlie.

Hello Charlie

When starting a bultaco 198a from cold fitted with a amal mk2 carburetter with the choke on should you keep the throttle fully closed or a little open.

Thanking you in advance

Hightown

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was so special about 1904?

The old man keeps rattling on about it,Don't ask. :shutup:

I think we all know twinshocks are going the same way as p65,myself a prefer riding a twinshock as close to what they was when rolled out but if someone wants to add parts from later bikes and ride in the same trial in the same class i don't have a problem with that.

Edited by bilc0

32" from spindle to top of top yoke

I'm not being funny but how is the top of the top yoke defined? Is it the bit beside the fork cap nut, the bit at the centre of the yoke if this is higher or the top of the handlebar clamp? How much stanchion can you have above the yoke waiting to be slipped down later?

I'm not being funny but how is the top of the top yoke defined? Is it the bit beside the fork cap nut, the bit at the centre of the yoke if this is higher or the top of the handlebar clamp? How much stanchion can you have above the yoke waiting to be slipped down later?

Yes I agree, my Greeves Anglian has Ceriani forks with the original fitment stepped top yoke.

Just had a look at Surrey Cycles site and don't see a 1 1/2 listed.

Thought a Mk1 had a tickler, but the 1.5 also has a choke slide in the throttle slide ?

Confused !

MK1 has a tickler but can also have a choke slide housed in the throttle slide, operated by its own cable.

MK1.5 has a choke lever like the MK2 so presumably the cold starting inards of the MK1.5 are the same as the MK2. Maybe it gives an unfair advantage over cold starting which is against the spirit of Pre65...

The MK1.5 is no longer available, been out of production for quite some time I think.

MK1 has a tickler but can also have a choke slide housed in the throttle slide, operated by its own cable.

MK1.5 has a choke lever like the MK2 so presumably the cold starting inards of the MK1.5 are the same as the MK2. Maybe it gives an unfair advantage over cold starting which is against the spirit of Pre65...

The MK1.5 is no longer available, been out of production for quite some time I think.

Ta

Agreed, the regs state maximum fork length at 32" but spindle to top yoke isn't fork length. This is what happens when you have too many rules, more holes appear.

No need for a choke make life difficult, give it a good priming & have petrol flavoured socks to complete the authentic Pre65 look.

No need for a choke make life difficult, give it a good priming & have petrol flavoured socks to complete the authentic Pre65 look.

Definitely. The choke is no use for starting anyway, all it does is partially block the venturi off when the throttle is opened, it doesn't richen the mixture on a closed throttle. So it just helps with cold running once the motor is running, but the same can be achieved by a couple of tickler depressions when it's warming up. The extra cable and lever is just a nuisance.

Hi Guy's

OK, Amal have still got some MK1 1/2's, about 40 if I remember correctly. And I know of so called P65 bikes using them. An Ariel, and a James, and NO, I am not saying who! But they both have said that the bikes perform better with these carbs fitted. Now is that all in there heads? or is it a fact? Then we get onto other modified carbs! Take a look at the Villiers carb that Mick Grant uses, with the funny float bowel, do we know what internals are inside that? How long is a piece of string?

Forks! There is a Big Boy that rides an Ariel, that is well documented in a magazine. and to be honest, Them there forks look longer than the stated length. Is anyone going to measure them??? Sorry OTF I am getting as bad as you. :thumbup: Just another thought.Do you measure the lenghth of the forks with the bike suspended in the air or with the forks settled with the weight of the machine? and can you visualy,know the differance bettween 35mm and 36mm forks without a measuring divice?

Edit, to ramble a bit more. :icon_salut:

Regards Charlie.

Edited by charlie prescott

well it aint no rocket science but if i were the ediburg clubs machine examiner i'd take a leaf out of my local post offices book they have a simple thing that decides how much you have to pay for a stamp. all you'd need for the pre 65 is a piece of stick 32 inches long and apiece of steel with a 35mm sq slot cut in it.. i cant honestly see anyone having chickens in thier wellies over it though..