Fort William World Round 2011

portman

just got back from the world round and have to agree with a few things

the riding is second to none and a brilliant show from all the riders but i am glad i never spent my money on a VIP ticket package, where was the grand stand and did anyone else here about the free entry that appeared to be going on Saturday.Also the total lack of trade stands from scorpa,ossa ( they coud share the same van), gasgas missed a golden opportunety as it was school holidays and a range of there junior bikes would have brought much interest plus i bought 3 tee shirts from you last year for riders to sign well done to the beta guys and steve saunders - but you were also part of the show.lots of people that travelled/flew to scotland had cash to spend and there was nothing to buy not even a trials paper or magazine. and lastly to get a lot of you talking where was the acu sponsored trials team to rival the spanish federation boys, we had enough officals that could have minded.

main reason why no acu truck is a spanish licence costs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I fully enjoyed the trial, the sections were great even better than last year. The weather held off for the most part and to my mind the late in the day drizzle only helped to add a bit of spice into the action.

Yes there were the odd complaints floating around, but the trial itself on Sunday more than made up for anything that may have existed. L&M put on a great trial it has to be said, the severity was spot on and I actually thought the 1 or 2 long sections that were iffy at 90secs were a good mix to the norm also.

Bou had his work cut out for himself and not surprising he never won, even walking the sections on the sunny/dry Saturday I felt a lot of the rocks etc were slippy. For that, what it was like to ride 2nd lap Sunday heck only knows! And I suppose it's a tale of what-ifs.......what if Doug had been fit he'd likely have made the podium again.

Good point made by somebody about turning the weekend into a holiday and seeing Scotland as an excuse to make the long trip north, even Italy's foremost trials photog Mario Candellone who spent a good few days in Scotland, was telling me things about the Battle of Bannochburn that I never knew.....and I'm Scottish!

The Saturday fun element of the event clearly displayed in the pic below, Steve Saunders getting "guided" through section 14 by Steve Colley...... :)

Ian.

IMG_1129.JPG

Edited by IanJ

Constructive criticism: Didn't even look at the "trade stands", very poor; The entertainment from messrs Colley & Saunders didn't do it for me, a push bike trial demo would have been different (remember Sheffield a few years back?)or David Knight doing the downhill on his Katoom; Glad I didn't pay for VIP 'cos I couldn't see the added value from what I saw; Oh, and by the way, the bit I went to see (i.e the Trial) was spot on.

Michaud is the FFM delegate and colomer has only ever worked when paid very well to do a job, ossa and privately for one or two spanish lads before afaik.

BSB isn't funded by acu?

doug i think has lots of intrests outside of trials, buisness intrests and i doubt he would work for the acu for peanuts.

If Dougie & the ACU together can't muster up sponsorship for such an effort then British involvement at WTC level will just be a sideshow for ever, which will be very sad. I saw both Michaud and Colomer in Scotland and both were wearing "Manager's" bibs.

PS, I didn't say BSB was funded by the ACU. What I meant was that when you go and see a BSB Superstock set-up (i.e support for teh main event), it must cost 10's of thousands of pounds a season to run; my point being that with the ACU's "clout" they should be able to muster up a fraction to put half a dozen youngsters on the WTC road show even if its only the Euro rounds.

If Dougie & the ACU together can't muster up sponsorship for such an effort then British involvement at WTC level will just be a sideshow for ever, which will be very sad. I saw both Michaud and Colomer in Scotland and both were wearing "Manager's" bibs.

PS, I didn't say BSB was funded by the ACU. What I meant was that when you go and see a BSB Superstock set-up (i.e support for teh main event), it must cost 10's of thousands of pounds a season to run; my point being that with the ACU's "clout" they should be able to muster up a fraction to put half a dozen youngsters on the WTC road show even if its only the Euro rounds.

Agreed. I was saying that the bsb is self funded. ACU is not doing enough to promote trials period. When Sam haslam Alexz ross rob crawford fry wibberly(and more) were doing the youth wtc it looked great for britain but now only shepard is there and he is nearly at the age bou started on the top route.

What seems to happen is that we get a few through but either through lack of support guidance training or ACU federation truck and support,all our lads seem to peak and fade away.

It does happen in Spain aswell Gibert oliveras france bethune etc but to get further up seems a problem.

The younger lads from wiggy downwards have an excellent chance to make it through as they will be 25 when bou is 30 raga 33 and cbestany 34, so the oppurtunity beckons for them all.

Edited by Nigel Dabster

I don't think Gomez will make it to the big line, nor do I think Moret will either, in credit to Bethune, he was like morris in a way and had a reasonable crack at it for several years.

Gomez is older than wiggy and has missed out again last year with jack challoner so despite an hrc bike he hasn't done the buisness. Will win more by default same as sheppard.

Despite the rule change for Pol Tarres he wont beat him this year.

Moret is a nice lad but will not win anything.

Some interesting comment.

I can't complain about anything because we had passes for the Bash on the Ben and anyway I don't think that does any good, the event is done. However, constructively the lack of a trade park and food stalls was disappointing as was the lack of a T shirt stall. The entertainment was pretty good but the gap in the middle of the afternoon without trade or food stalls to keep your attention was noticeable. Last year was that much bigger but that's to be expected of an event that was a whole day longer. We don't know much of the reasons behind the changes so it's difficult to comment. I enjoyed my weekend and the actual trial was pretty mind blowing but it also begs a few questions.

Where does WTC go from here, 10 in Champs class are being kept afloat by a large Junior class. The lack of youths was a disappointment and for me Bou is so far ahead that there appears little point in the rest turning up. Raga was the muttz nuts this weekend but he can't maintain the consistency and without wishing to demean the efforts of everyone else they are a step behind. I don't see any talent simmering in the Juniors or Youth Group that could step up to challenge.

I think the sport needs wholesale change of some sort to make it more competitive at the top end and to try and find some way of reinvigorating that sport at every level. Wish I had an answer

Edited by Slapshot 3

The top riders are always going to be the top riders whether or not they lose 1 mark or 50 marks, Id like to see world rounds like they used to be where the top 5 or 6 of each country had a go when the events came their way.

I agree, but do you think anyone in the uk other than the top 3 could cope with the top route?

As only one italian gratterola and one french gubian ride who are these riders?

Not an attack on your comment at all.

I agree, but do you think anyone in the uk other than the top 3 could cope with the top route?

As only one italian gratterola and one french gubian ride who are these riders?

Not an attack on your comment at all.

Not in its current state but, it should be eased in my opinion, if Raga and Bou lose 5 marks it would mean that all 10 of the Uk's top riders could have a good go in fortwilliam, I know times are changed but I remeber the Hurst Cup being run at Clandeboy with 80 entrants