Fort William World Round 2011

portman

I see that the FIM have changed some world round dates. I can understand the change to the Japanese round(s) - the poor souls affected by the quake/tsunami need every help they can get.

But why reduce Fort William to just a single day? Last year's two day event was spot on, considering the travelling most folk had to undertake. I'm sure the traders in Fort William appreciated the business.

I expect L+M events are a trifle unhappy.

I don't wish to speak out of turn but the future viability of such an event surely hinges around the original business plan (ie income over two days, publicity for sponsors over two days, etc) and it's as if the FIM are not fussed about that. There are too few people these days willing/able to organise a UK world round and I'm sure this move won't help.

Perhaps there's more to this than is immediately obvious?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a 1 day event on the website for some time now. The 2 day pass is to watch the practise etc on the Saturday which was on the Friday in 2010.

There wasn't a massive turnout last year and it will be even less this year.

Based on a family of 2 adults and 2 kids, you would hardly get any change out of

Please allow us to clarify this situation.

Our original application to the FIM was for another 2 day trial - this had to be submitted during January 2011 and prior to last year's event.

Post the 2011 event it became obviously apparent that the costs associated with delivering another 2 day trial - 3 day event were not viable in the current economic climate.

Hence following communication with both the ACU and the FIM it was decided that the 2011 Grand Prix of Great Britain would be a 1 day trial - 2 day event, as per the format we successfully delivered at Hawkstone Park during 2005/2006/2007.

The data gathered from last year's event clearly shows that the vast majority of people only visited on 2 out of the 3 days. Therefore our intention this year is to deliver a high quality event that is focused on 2 rather than 3 days of World class action and entertainment, and that will cater for the majority of visitors.

Saturday will provide a packed schedule of additional activities (full details of which will be confirmed in due course) plus official practice and autograph sessions - ahead of Sunday's main competition. Anyone who was previously present at Hawkstone Park during our three year run or at Nevis Range last year will know that we are totally committed to delivering events of the highest order.

With the event now taking place during the English school holidays, from our research, most people are looking to travel north on the Friday so as to fully enjoy the 2 day event, whilst still managing their own expenditure.

The 2 day advance ticket offers great value for money and a real saving based on 2010 prices.

We sincerely hope that the British trials community / fans will continue to support our efforts to retain the GP in this country so that we can all enjoy the skills of the best motorcycle riders on the planet.

Jake Miller - L+M Events

Please allow us to clarify this situation.

Our original application to the FIM was for another 2 day trial - this had to be submitted during January 2011 and prior to last year's event.

Post the 2011 event it became obviously apparent that the costs associated with delivering another 2 day trial - 3 day event were not viable in the current economic climate.

Hence following communication with both the ACU and the FIM it was decided that the 2011 Grand Prix of Great Britain would be a 1 day trial - 2 day event, as per the format we successfully delivered at Hawkstone Park during 2005/2006/2007.

The data gathered from last year's event clearly shows that the vast majority of people only visited on 2 out of the 3 days. Therefore our intention this year is to deliver a high quality event that is focused on 2 rather than 3 days of World class action and entertainment, and that will cater for the majority of visitors.

Saturday will provide a packed schedule of additional activities (full details of which will be confirmed in due course) plus official practice and autograph sessions - ahead of Sunday's main competition. Anyone who was previously present at Hawkstone Park during our three year run or at Nevis Range last year will know that we are totally committed to delivering events of the highest order.

With the event now taking place during the English school holidays, from our research, most people are looking to travel north on the Friday so as to fully enjoy the 2 day event, whilst still managing their own expenditure.

The 2 day advance ticket offers great value for money and a real saving based on 2010 prices.

We sincerely hope that the British trials community / fans will continue to support our efforts to retain the GP in this country so that we can all enjoy the skills of the best motorcycle riders on the planet.

Jake Miller - L+M Events

Full marks Jake for your rapid and informative response.

Clearly it will be for each person to determine whether they believe one day of competition is worth the cost of travel/accommodation. I am not trying to be negative, but from my personal perspective it was the two days of competition which convinced me the trip was worth it last year.

Good luck for later this year - we need to keep a round on British soil!

Thats me not going then..................

Same here!

Best option IMO is France.

will be cheaper, more accessible and easier to go to France and they have a 2 day event there.

Been to French rounds before and they are awesome with whole villages/towns closing down and fully welcoming the trials circus with open arms - cant see that happening in the UK :angry:

If not you could look at making a holiday out of Spain and Andorra (think dates on front page must be wrong and Andorra is 26th June) by flying to Madrid and driving to trial (approx 150km) then fly from Madrid to Girona and drive to Andorra.

Or alternatively just do Andorra (fly to Girona then drive 150km ish to Andorra) as they again totally throw the village/town at the event and run ace events.

Even the Italian round is only 130ish km from Milan Airport although I've never been to an Italian round but again they look very well supported. I've actually driven from UK to Monza for F1 and its an AMAZING drive through France and Switzerland. Took about 15 hours to get from Calais to Milan and the Italian round is not as far as Milan!

Lots of options open to the UK trials supporter at relatively low cost and probably similar cost that you would spend if you went to Scotland (at least if you live in Southern England..)

Food for thought!

you dont need to spend all the money on just going to the world round.you could also make it a holiday and visit scotland.its beautiful at that time of the year.as you said its the school holidays.i stay in scotland and make up any excuse to get away up north.

Hi everyone i cant make this years world round due to work commitments but would like to ask the question will it be returning to Carlisle in the future. Now that was a cracking weekend not to far walk between the sections.Great time had by all.

Same here!

will be cheaper, more accessible and easier to go to France and they have a 2 day event there.

Been to French rounds before and they are awesome with whole villages/towns closing down and fully welcoming the trials circus with open arms - cant see that happening in the UK :angry:

Aye they will let any bugger in, probably give you a free white flag to wave too.

well traveled man, but you have never been to scotland for the british leg of the world championship?! seriously missing out! Never mind villages the whole of the uk welcomed the trials circus to the nevis range last year, Was on par with the world downhill championshp!! Mega action!

Same here!

If not you could look at making a holiday out of Spain and Andorra (think dates on front page must be wrong and Andorra is 26th June) by flying to Madrid and driving to trial (approx 150km) then fly from Madrid to Girona and drive to Andorra.

Or alternatively just do Andorra (fly to Girona then drive 150km ish to Andorra) as they again totally throw the village/town at the event and run ace events.

Even the Italian round is only 130ish km from Milan Airport although I've never been to an Italian round but again they look very well supported. I've actually driven from UK to Monza for F1 and its an AMAZING drive through France and Switzerland. Took about 15 hours to get from Calais to Milan and the Italian round is not as far as Milan!

Lots of options open to the UK trials supporter at relatively low cost and probably similar cost that you would spend if you went to Scotland (at least if you live in Southern England..)

Food for thought!

Same here!

Not sure I get your point but if it's distance from the airport to the venue the why not fly to Inverness and drive from there? It's about 100Km. You've also obviously never been to Fort William before. The whole town does welcome this trial and other trials.

we're driving up thursday doing a bit of sightseeing as well while we are there and coming back monday ,same as we did last year, as for a stunning drive abroad the drive up through the highlands must be equally as scenic? the distance arguement for going abroad is only relevant to your starting point isn't it? we really enjoyed last years event, i must be easily pleased !! :popcorn:

and its an AMAZING drive through France and Switzerland. Took about 15 hours to get from Calais to Milan and the Italian round is not as far as Milan!

Food for thought!

obviously never driven down through glencoe then B)

• 1 month later...