SWM TL320 1982 - a few updates and notes.

reginald

Looking like I would but Feetupfun is going to Denman which is deadly fun. Its an all twin shock club running a 2 day in the Hunter Valley with lots of gibbers [big ones].

Im still negotiating a way forward with the minister for war and finance....the other plus for Classic dirt 8 is it maybe the last time I have my YZ250h for a blast around that MX track.

Haven't sold the YZ, I thought you where going to sell it 12 months ago!!

Its a bugger when 2 great events are on at the same time and separated by a thousand kilometers!!

You would think with such easy access to what's going on around the place on the net, that there would not be a clash of dates like this.

CD-7 was a lot of fun with a healthy turn up of twin shocks. Having to pre-book for CD-8 is extreme but if it keeps the numbers managable it makes sense.

Looking like I would but Feetupfun is going to Denman which is deadly fun. Its an all twin shock club running a 2 day in the Hunter Valley with lots of gibbers [big ones].

Im still negotiating a way forward with the minister for war and finance....the other plus for Classic dirt 8 is it maybe the last time I have my YZ250h for a blast around that MX track.

I reckon you should keep that yzee and just sell the triumph. In ten years time you will greatly enjoy taking it for a blat - I know I love still having my old MXer - riping up some grass at home once a year with it, leaving black lines on the driveway, making a bit of noise

Personally, I would not sell the YZ either.

I have motocross bikes ranging from 73-77 and I wont sell them, they give you the biggest buzz when you ride them.

I'm still cranky about selling the TY175, in hindsight!!

I have a list of peoples names who say they will buy my 320 when I decide to sell it!!

They will have to talk to my eldest son, I have just started teaching him how to ride it and he loves it so its not going anywhere.

That's great mate, I sold my TY before Christmas but will be bringing my KT up along with some PEs.

Should be a great weekend.

Hopefully I can get the 320 out tomorrow and play around a bit.

• 1 year later...

A few notes on further work, lessons learned and observations on no.1 bike after engine stripped and inspected.

1.Currently have Betor Forks from no. 2 bike and while fresh pursang fork springs with 10mm spacers made a worlds of difference the action is still not real good - bottoming and topping noises - inspection of the lower end of the tube compared to no. 1 bike and it looks like there is a nylon tube spacer missing but if that's the case the tube is shorter. Without oil or springs they feel like they get stuck on compression.

One fork leg on the no.1 bike is missing the SWM stamped on the side - it would appear that it is a replacement because it looks more like a Bully and the SWM one has an interesting bronze bush below the oil seal location and different depth for the seals to sit in. The action of these forks even tho they leak a lot and have heaps of sicks in time is way superior. We have fitted new ariett seals as advised elsewhere on this site by bully lover to these and will refit when i get a chance and rechrome at a later date when i have worked out whats up with no. 2s forks.

2. Sanding the high spots off the front brake shoes improved performance a fair bit.

3. I have fitted older renthals with a higher rise around 200mm at bar ends and they really suit my height.

4. Fitted new clutch cable with a larger nipple than what i had [venhill cable with magura lever] which meant I went to the domino lever off the spare bike. cable outer was a bit long so had to shorten with a dremel. Action is very good with the 6mm piece welded into the actuator arm inside the clutch case with a little slipping in higher gears. This the clutch off no. 2 bike so I assume they are standard plates and springs [not the barnett plates with XR650 valve springs as clutch springs i reported earlier]. But very happy with its action in the sections so going to leave as is.

5. both bikes clutch cases have been welded around kicker and case protectors fitted using collets between protector plate and cases. Interestingly when i was replacing the cover the clutch let go like the nipple had pulled through the actuator arm opened her up and it seemed something in the mechanism has gone. Refitted the other. [great having a complete runner for spares and reference].

6. the engine was taken in for a complete rebuild due to the fact i suspected it was sucking gearbox oil and after replacing the clutch side crankcase seal. This turned out to be a buggered induction manifold after reassembling the bike to find it still smoking and running like crap :(. The engine strip revealed sheared teeth on the kickstart gears and so wasn't a complete waste of time. Bore was standard and piston within spec and big end was fine as was gearbox and new standard piston rings fitted [not bad for a thirty year old bike that had two seasons at the hands of a a grade rider]. Built with new o rings etc etc and the case were resurfaced as this was the suspected leak. Two shims placed in the head to get the squish right and the rotary disk was turned one spline notch to match literature specs.

While it was part various small weld repairs were done to the magnesium cases. Condenser was replaced and failed within 1.5 tanks of fuel after rebuild and new points fitted.

This engine is amazing starts first kick and the performance is brilliant.

7. new Betor expert shocks with harder springs [50lb?] at 360mm replaced 355mm Falcons which I thought were 40lbs but wire diameter the same and coil numbers the same. Whichever the bike sits a bit higher and the action great for my level and absolute bargains if reliability holds out. They are fitted on the front mounts.

8. a replacement plastic fuel tap failed and the no. 2 bikes tank seat unit fitted.

9. I cut a new air filter from a sheet of airfilter foam [the third I have made from a $25 sheet as well as one for a XR80] and oiled with no toil filter oil.

I have ridden two trials on her and compared to our mighty little TY its a fantastic bike. Brilliant handling and such a grunty and smooth engine make it an absolute brilliant bike for a clubman like me. Forks sorted and a bit of love on the rear brake and she will as good a twin shock bike I have ever ridden and even tho Im biasied thats saying alot cause this includes a Majesty 250 - very nicely prepped and a much modified TY200 which is brilliant as well.

Owning this bike and having it as a runner would not have been possible with out my mate Feet Up Fun and all the advice and parts supplied from contacts on this site. Thanks everyone and to anyone considering a holiday to Oz especially QLD drop us a PM and ill see if I can get you a ride.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Further notes

Second hand renthals broke on a small impact - turns out internal corrosion from mud was the cause.

Since replaced with custom bars which are slightly higher and are bloody marvellious.

Back to original falcons and it would appear my assumption od fthem being 40lb not right most likely 50lb andf Im sticking with them after trying new steel betors which weeped a bit and Im in the process of sending them back - supplier easy to deal with on issue.