Helmet Cameras

petej

I wasn't too sure whether to put this topic in trials gear but decided on trials videos instead.

I'm looking to get a reasonably cheap and lightweight 720p resolution helmet mounted camera which is easy to switch off/on between sections. Does anyone have any recommendations?

i have a contour 1080hd that will go down to 720. the issue is they are not plug and play as advertised. it took me the best part of a week of evenings to get the thing sorted, what with having to have this and that enabled/ disabled downloaded/ updated etc etc.. the contour editing site sounds tickerty boo and is regretably just poo. as the makers admit when you get far enough into the websites they concentrate on producing a cheap camera and not on the editing etc etc its easy to use on the helmet solid as a rock sticks like s@@t etc etc but downloading and uploading to variuos media sites is a REAL pain.. the forum / help site is full of stuff and the tech guys really do get back to you for free and the answer to all your issues is there but the manual supplied with the thing is rank.. costs vary so look around try unusual but large name retailers online and you can get the basic stuff for less than 200 quid.. the truff the hole truff and nothing else but the truff

Edited by totalshell

I was in same "boat" as you and have gone with the contour 1080... for me it set up easy but the editing extra is crap .I'm on the lookout for simple & cheap editing software now. general purchasing conclusion was go pro is better picture quality but Contour mounting is best (I had visions of not ducking low enough under a branch or similar and wiping the go pro off the top without knowing it. Uploading is tedious for HD stuff .I've decided to only use the 720 resolution untill server bandwiths etc get better. hope this helps

I have an Archos AV530 (30GB HD) with a Newmp3technology bullet cam, total cost about £140

Archos goes in your pocket and bullet cam is about the size of a packet of polos on your helmet. No external battery pack needed, camera draws power from main unit. Output is MPEG 4. Res is only 420 but OK for what I want and toggle on wire to camera has Start/stop rec button that works even with gloved hands. I actually bought it for skiing but would work on a bike too.

Those full size cameras strapped to a helmet look to vulnerable to branches etc for my liking

Edited by brokeback

There is 2 HD gopros one will do full 1080 and the other will do only 960 but it is 199 vs 349 for the later.

I use the full HD one and you can side mount it or chest mount it. Personally i was torn between the contour and gopro, I chose the gopro after hearing the contour puts out all clips in a MOV format and is a little more difficult to deal with compared to MP4. Also you can get a LCD screen for the back of it to preview your clips.

More to think about

Dustin

Edited by legionnair

I use a Contour 1080p HD usually in 720p 60f/s mode. The 60 frames per second mode is far better for fast moving pictures and most people are using the net for publishing so 720p is more than enough.

I've had no problem setting it up for various laptops so I don't understand the above setup problems.

For editing I'd recommend Corel video studio which can be downloaded for nothing on a 30 day unrestricted trial. if you don't like it try something else. One important issue is running the video editor inProxy mode. This means you edit with lower res (

smaller) files making it quick and easy. Instructions on proxy mode are available online including walk throughs on YouTube.

The go-pro is probably a marginally better camera but it sticks out and could be damaged easily and looks like a road side Gatso speed camera. I'm not usually bother about looks but there has to be a limit.

I use a Gopro HD, there is only one HD version, the other is SD.

The beauty of the HD is that you can film in everything from 1080, 960 wide and 720p @ both 30-60fps, it also has WVGA Standard Def.

Good editing software ain't cheap though.

I use a Gopro HD, there is only one HD version, the other is SD.

The beauty of the HD is that you can film in everything from 1080, 960 wide and 720p @ both 30-60fps, it also has WVGA Standard Def.

Good editing software ain't cheap though.

You should check the gopro website you will see that you are incorrect. there is a full HD to 1080P and one that only does 960P. Good try

You should check the gopro website you will see that you are incorrect. there is a full HD to 1080P and one that only does 960P. Good try

Yes your right, But there wasn't two versions out when i purchased my HD.. and i've not checked the site since - so i apologise for not having your superior up to date geek knowledge on the subject.. well done you :icon_salut:

I went with the GoPro. No regrets what so ever! Its bullet proof as long as its in the enclosure.

Bunch of vids here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/snomanizdman?feature=mhum#p/u

Far as knocking it off your helmet goes, put it on the side of your helmet, or chest mount it...problem solved. :thumbup:

Im using Pinnacle Studio 15 to edit.

Edited by sherco29

i have a contour 1080hd that will go down to 720. the issue is they are not plug and play as advertised. it took me the best part of a week of evenings to get the thing sorted, what with having to have this and that enabled/ disabled downloaded/ updated etc etc.. the contour editing site sounds tickerty boo and is regretably just poo. as the makers admit when you get far enough into the websites they concentrate on producing a cheap camera and not on the editing etc etc its easy to use on the helmet solid as a rock sticks like s@@t etc etc but downloading and uploading to variuos media sites is a REAL pain.. the forum / help site is full of stuff and the tech guys really do get back to you for free and the answer to all your issues is there but the manual supplied with the thing is rank.. costs vary so look around try unusual but large name retailers online and you can get the basic stuff for less than 200 quid.. the truff the hole truff and nothing else but the truff

Eagerly awaiting your vids! :thumbup: