timing and points

bondy

There isn't any magic to points ignition; if its a little early you might get kicked; really late run backward easier.

Don't trust newer Femsa condensers!!! Add a real automotive condenser and forget it.

A little dielectric grease on the cam, of great importance turn crank key down before applying flywheel.

Get timing close and go ride it.

Larry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, sorry to start a comment on someone else's theead!! I'm a bit puzzled a about my 159, I started it yesterday after it had been sat for 3 weeks, it started 2nd kick fine, I then had a little plod along just up and down my road un till it was warm, and it ran fine!! I then turned it off and left it while I done another job in the garage, went back to the bike about an hour later and went to start it..... Nothing!!! Checked spark and it's very poor, sometimes it will spark sometimes it won't?? I removed plug cap and have also cleaned points and checked the gap which was ok, it has a new ht coil under the tank but am going to just check the wireing under the tank today see if anything is loose etc, it might be that it needs new points and condenser but mine havnt had much use, anything to point me in the right direction to get it sorted?? Got my 1st trial again next weekend and it's been running spot on un till now!! I've got brand new plug in her and tried old ones too!! Thanks in advance chaps

may be a break in the HT lead this happened to me a while ago turned out the wire in the end off the coil had corroded so i cut it back abit then it was fine. like you said could be a loose wire if it's sparking some times then not sparking. could be a number off things i would start with the wiring first then check timing points. could also be a faulty plug. there are some dodgy plugs about claiming there genuine and there not. so could be that. hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hullo Trum,my usual No: 1 item to check! Strip back an inch or so of any of the under tank wires. If discoloured or black,replace them all--pronto! Why,because the conductors are well past it & are becoming high resistance & will not pass anything like the current they should. If you can get it,use tinned wire,it is the best. With new terminals,crimp first,solder to finish.It is bad practice to only solder,vibration will cause the joint to fail. Years of fitting/ fixing radiotelephones has taught me that dodgy wiring & connectors are the culprit most times. Keep us up to date on your progress. Hope this helps,John.

• Like 1

I might also help to check the high tension lead where it goes into the spark plug cap. It would pay to chop a half inch or a bit less to make sure there is no corrosion in the end on the wire the screw it up again. The screw part in the plug cap can also have a lot of corrosion on it as well. Just have a look.

• Like 1

+1 on all posts about the cables and electrical wires, in doubt shortening the wires around 10mm to the plug cap and looking through the electrical connections is beside cleaning the points the first thing is I would do too (which you had done already).

Last thing I would do is replace the plug, even if you have just mounted a new one.

In my experience most twinshocks - at least the bikes I have - consume plugs frequently. It happens to my SWM, the Bultaco, Yamaha and even my Beta TR, that suddenly the plug isn't working proper. Sometimes it takes just a few hours sometimes it took nearly a three quarter year. I have no clue beside when the older type plug fitted they seems to last longer ...

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies everyone, a great help! I got her running again!! I shortened the ht lead, also checked wires under the tank which all seem ok and not dis coloured, I also did re gap the points as well although they seemed ok, And she started again first kick, there did however seem a small amount of moisture in the mag cover im not sure how as it has a gasket and all done up tight, but I wonder if the magneto could have also been damp or wet, I will purchase a puller this week to take mag off so I can clean it/dry it, but for now I just run it and rode it for some time to dry it out, thanks for all the info everyone it helped lots

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies everyone, a great help! I got her running again!! I shortened the ht lead, also checked wires under the tank which all seem ok and not dis coloured, I also did re gap the points as well although they seemed ok, And she started again first kick, there did however seem a small amount of moisture in the mag cover im not sure how as it has a gasket and all done up tight, but I wonder if the magneto could have also been damp or wet, I will purchase a puller this week to take mag off so I can clean it/dry it, but for now I just run it and rode it for some time to dry it out, thanks for all the info everyone it helped lots

Before you complete the task, I am certain from your post mag case is not vented & it MUST be or it will sweat & cause the above moisture problem, further please clean

the points, clean business card in narrow strips, small screw driver to separate points, do not let points snap and grab a bit of paper; lastly, I'm sure you have an automotive

condenser under the tank. Almost forgot NGK Iridium plug for long life.

Have a good day

Larry

• Like 1

trum -

You don't give your location, but I'm thinking temperate climate ?

Some sound advice on offer here...

Personally, I would also regard removing the mag. cover now and again to check for moisture, etc. as part of my regular maintenance -

even if it's a vented cover (.....and yes, even if it has electronic ignition !......)

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 2