a word of warning

mrwhite

intresting coment's .as some one who's sold one or two bikes on e bay i think desciptions are very tricky if you under sell no one will come and offer you more ,i put my beta on ebay which i thought was very clean and had'nt done a lot of work first buyer ,deceided it was'nt clean enough the second had looked at 10 others and thought it was the cleanest,some turn up thinking there buying a road bike and a 2 year old bike should be unmarked,personally i'd expect a 5 year old bike to have had a lot of use ,the first owner did'nt spend 5 k to leave it in a garage.

i pesonally think that my mont is pretty good and sounds nice but having ridden a brand new one last week i know it is starting to feel it's age,i sometimes feel that some people expect a new bike when looking for a used purchase and usually the one's wanting to pay the least expect the most.a good rule is to try and buy localish even if it cost's a little more ,then hopefully you'll know a little more about the bike/owner.yet to have a bad bike yet sticking to that...

I have sold my last 2 bikes on e-bay & never lied about either - both were bought with no complaints, People can push there luck - sometimes it is luck of the draw.

I have bought 2 bikes from E-bay, both needed work, but did'nt pay much, like has been said - you get what you pay for......................

i've bought upwards of a couple of dozen bikes off ebay all unseen and have never been disappointed, i 've only ever had to do real work on one to get it ready for work and as i only paid 230 for it yet had it through the test for 60 quid i didnt think that was too bad.. be realistic your not going to buy a minter 4rt for 1700 quid.. you ALWAYS get what you pay for..

lets be honest here a cosmetically well used yet mechanically sound 05 is on the money at around 1750 upwards not one that needs 1500+ spent on it that is more spares or repairs

Edited by Mrwhite

the worst problem is this is now sunday and i'm on the laptop not riding...

When buying a used dirt bike I always assume I am going to have to change the wheel bearings, fork seals, pads and chain and sprokets. it's just something I normaly have to do.

must be very annoying though if someone claims these parts are like new <_<

Edited by Drake

When buying a used dirt bike I always assume I am going to have to change the wheel bearings, fork seals, pads and chain and sprokets. it's just something I normaly have to do.

must be very annoying though if someone claims these parts are like new <_<

i would have managed if that was all but the shock linkage and more so the loud knock from the engine added to the cracked sump casing

Normally the term 'Mint' means avoid!...or there is a hole in it.

The problem with a lot of trials riders is they think a new set of plastics and stickers turns a pile of scrap into a new bike.

Buying or selling, photos always give a reasonable idea of cosmetic condition. If the bike has been cared for externally then 9 times out of ten it's had the same TLC internally? If the seller posts poor quality pics then alarm bells should ring? Ask for some close up shots of any dodgy bits, if they don't send them on then walk away. Ask lots of questions, if they don't reply then there's a reason.

At the end of the day, an auction is exactly that and only you place the bids. I've had many a bargain and been stung seldom simply by doing a bit of ground work before bidding. Auction fever can have disappointing results.

Here's some pics I sent to a potential buyer of my 4RT Pics Here, sorry, but I did sell it! I advertised it as 'mint', make your own minds up...........

GJ :wacko:

Last night I went to see another montesa recommended by a friend. It was a local bike and is now in my garage.

Needless to say I am very happy but only found out about it because of fridays story.

Big thanks to Ian and not forgetting fergus for the recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

I too kind of fell foul of this- bargain bike, bought it despite looking a little battered and bruised. Needs a few bits fixing and will end up costing me around the same as other similar age bikes in far better condition. Live and learn, and I'll learn allsorts bringing this up to scratch!

i too had this problem but not quite as serious,

i wanted to get into the world of trials and i had already rode dirt bikes, so i went and found a gas gas jtr on ebay for 540 quid, knowing this was a bargain i went for it, went to go pick it up and it was at some guys junkyard but it seemed to run okay, i took it home and took it out for a proper ride and the back brake didnt work it was seized open. the clutch was dodgy and it was impossible to get into gear, half of the plastics were missing and the exhaust held up with silicone sealant. only little problems so i bought new plastics a new brake setup and give it a good strip down fresh fuel and a new spark plug, now it runs fine and gears seem to be okay everynow and again it skips a gear, but its okay as a beginners bike. serves me well, however soon ill be interesting in renewing into a newer lighter model, hit me up if your interested? :)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had some good and bad via Ebay

I bought the good and passed on the bad

My first 2 - 4RT's were brilliant ebay buys, exactly as described

I bought my Repsol 4RT from a mate in the next town, as i knew its provenance

I've sold trials bikes via ebay too and the first to see bought all of them - no disappointed buyers either

I am not suprised that you have no disappointed buyers, I have seen various photos of your bikes, they are all very tidy.