a word of warning

mrwhite

Having recently won a bike on a popular auction site i wish to offer a word of warning,

Having not used this before i wish i had been warned myself

described as "Bike is in excellent condition. Has had a full service and is ready to ride."

on the phone the young gent said it was a "minter"

i am new to online auctions and thankfully opted to pay cash when collecting then drove from north of dundee to north yorkshire

This is to the best of my opinion and am sure other faults exist.

wheel bearings front and back, swinging arm bearings and linkage collapsed - pads rear on metal damaged disc, front contaminated by leaking piston - serious oil leak from under engine - sump guard split and badly rock damaged - front brake needing bled - throttle cable outer broken cable sticking - 6 various bolts missing the worst was gear lever "it came off in my hand", most others changed for black allen bolts - silencer patched with car body filler and sprayed, end plug missing - fork leg badly pitted with sharp edges - vent pipe missing from fuel cap - plastics painted badly white - stickers wrecked - overspray all over rear of bike - chain adjusted beyond cam reach - chain tensioner block damaged, arm bent, spring stretched and mount worn - non trials bars fitted - possible rear shock issue. then i started it..........

needless to say i came home with an empty van

Id never bid on, or buy a bike without looking first, cant see why people do this?

80% of all the bikes described as "mint / excellent / hardly used" I’ve seen are ready for the knackers yard!

It took me 4 months to find a good bike

Edited by Monty_Jon

i agree was a huge mistake on my part, have put my head on the block as warning to others

Its very annoying when they do lie about the description, and a total waste of fuel & time!

Good luck finding one :thumbup:

Edited by Monty_Jon

Well I shall counter what has been said about online auctions.

From the Dundee area, I have travelled to Crawley, 20 miles North of Brighton, round trip of approx 1200 miles to buy an Aprilia Factory @

I too went to see an absolutely immaculate ( his words not mine ) 2010 250 beta, well if that was immaculate it must have been judged by stevie wonder . I have got a 2001 sherco that is in better nick !! and i am not exagerating. I wouldn't mind but the guy wanted top dollar as well . The next one I saw , was owned by an engineer that didn't know what grease is or how to use it . It looked nice but all the suspension bearings were bone dry and the swing arm bearings were knackered and have been replaced. I will get it to the standard that I want eventually , hopefully !!

Phil

i've bought upwards of a couple of dozen bikes off ebay all unseen and have never been disappointed, i 've only ever had to do real work on one to get it ready for work and as i only paid 230 for it yet had it through the test for 60 quid i didnt think that was too bad.. be realistic your not going to buy a minter 4rt for 1700 quid.. you ALWAYS get what you pay for..

I've had some good and bad via Ebay

I bought the good and passed on the bad

My first 2 - 4RT's were brilliant ebay buys, exactly as described

I bought my Repsol 4RT from a mate in the next town, as i knew its provenance

I've sold trials bikes via ebay too and the first to see bought all of them - no disappointed buyers either

Edited by Johnnyboxer