Bultaco fitted with Amal mk2 Carburetor

hightown

i have a bultaco 198a 250cc it will start with the choke on from cold after two or three kicks, after it has warmed up if i stop to look at a section for four or five minutes i have to use the choke again for it to start, is there anything i can adjust it to start without the choke.

Thanking you in advance

hightown .

i have a bultaco 198a 250cc it will start with the choke on from cold after two or three kicks, after it has warmed up if i stop to look at a section for four or five minutes i have to use the choke again for it to start, is there anything i can adjust it to start without the choke.

Thanking you in advance

hightown .

Hi Mate,

Putting the choke on richens the mixture - so you can probably assume that if you still need it when the engines fully warm, then the engine is running too weak when warm. This could be a fault (like maybe a worn slide passing air - they do wear badly on those carbs) or maybe could just be adjusted out. The pilot screw (side of the carb)can be adjusted - try screwing it in 1/2 turn at a time to richen it - the standard setting is 1 and 1/2 turns from fully in (so checking it would be a good starting point). You could also maybe try a pilot jet larger - this will only cost a few quid. I have heard that modern fuels can require a richer carb setting...

hope this is food for thought.

cheers

Stu