Something a Little Different

daved444

Hi guys,

I thought you might like to see my latest SWM project.

It started as a pretty nice 1981 TL230 but never one to just have a standard bike I decided to set out on a project to use the standard bike as the basis for something a little different.

The frame was first and I decided (with the help of Rob Homer) to remove the top frame tube and the seat rails and make a tank as part of the frame with tubes welded inside to route the cables. The seat rails were replaced with straight tubes so that the new seat and side panels would sit flat and also form the top of the airbox (this dropped the seat height by about 3 inches).

Whilst modifying the frame the head angle was steepened so something more like the Jumbo frame and hangers were made to drop the footrests.

Below are a few photos of the bike in its original state, the work done on the frame and the finished project as it rolled out in its first trial today (complete with custom graphics from Storm gafix). I chose the red and white original SWM colour scheme as I prefer it to the later yellow and black/blue colours.

I know that there are some people out there that believe that these bikes should be kept original but I am interested to know what you think. If you want to see the detailed pictures of the project, I have it all logged on my blog at www.classicrider444.com

Dave

swm007.jpg

DSC00693.jpg

new11.jpg

new14.jpg

Edited by DaveD444
Fix broken image tags

Hi Guy's,

Hi Dave.

Yep, You your dad Pete, and Rob, have made a brilliant job of the bike, And yes it could have all have been done in the seventies. When the bike was new! No problem there then! Forks, well, yes progress. Grafix a bit busy for my taste, liked it a lot better before you put them on. :thumbup: :thumbup:

OK then Dave What is the next project?

Regards Charlie.

Looks nice. How did you get on with it at Bowley?? No results yet??

Got 1st twinshock and 4th overall on clubman route - pleased with how it went for first time out. How did the Fantic go? I think the results are now on Acuwestern centre.

Dave

Got 1st twinshock and 4th overall on clubman route - pleased with how it went for first time out. How did the Fantic go? I think the results are now on Acuwestern centre.

Dave

It was my 1st proper ride on the Fantic as the 1st time out I lost the sparks. I need to do a few tweaks but nothing too serious. Slow throttle, big pegs etc. I was making some silly mistakes in the beginning but got used to it.(first trial on a 2t) :thumbup: