Insurance

Thanks fellas, the insurance covered competition use as well so I went for it. I also have 5 years no-claims bonus but they weren't interested! :(

Thats right, its the covered for use in between sections in competition clause thats does it.

Try carole nash they do an off road policy, or were you specificaly after road risk cover?

Its easy and cheap enough to get a bike insured, its the cover for use during a road trial that seems to shoot up the cost.

Other than the fact that insurers are willing to exploit where they can, can someone explain why some policies charge more for riding a trial? Insurance is about risk. A standard policy would allow me to commute into the centre of Gloucester or take my trials bike down the M5, but some on here say it doesn't cover me if I'm puttering down the country lanes of Herefordshire on a Sunday morning? The reason you guys are being charged more for 'competition' cover is that insurance companies don't know what a trial is. How are you 'competing' when you're riding on the road? It comes under social and pleasure as far as I can see. My policy excludes 'racing, pacemaking, speed trials or for competing in National British A or International rallies' so what's the problem there?

Instead of getting into bed with the insurance industry the ACU could assist its members by enlightening insurers as to what taking part in a trial actually involves.

Steady on Lowbrow thats far too obvious maybe a keyword should be Reliability trial another no speed element. It's clear to all of us that insurance brokers/companies /underwriters don't really need our pitifull amount of business. seems a bit different abroad (read cheaper ) but then all bikes have to be registered thus homolugated thus according to Sherco for sure more expensive there.