Coolant level, and gear box oil!

adam1

Hi all

I realise this topic has been mentioned before but there is a few things i am unsure of. First thing i suspect that my water pump seal may be passing as my gear oil(gp10) is slightly milky almost grey in colour?

I decided to check my levels, i warmed the bike up and dropped the oil, only 400ml came out even though i always put in 550ml of oil in every time i change the oil, is this right?

Then i dropped the coolant from the water pump drain screw and only 450ml came out, this should be 600ml is this correct?

My questions are if the coolant level drops and the oil looks a little milky/ contaminated its water/coolant getting into the oil poss seal, but where is the gear box oil going?

Hope some one can point me in the right direction, also the bike runs well doesnt smoke and seems to have good power.

cheers Adam

Basically you would see pitting around the waterpump and some had holes in the case that caused the cooling system to purge into the primary side of the engine. Use a good quality, already mixed coolant like Silkolene Pro-Cool or Engine Ice. The biggest problem with corrosion was with tap water mixed with regular coolant. Particularly with the magnesium cases this caused a reaction that ate through case material due to the contaminents in the tap water.

Everybody panics when their gearbox oil is a little milky. Trials transmissions are not sealed and we do ride in all weather so just condensation alone can get into the gear oil which gets churned up into an emulsion. I've yet to hear of a transmission failure due to milky oil. As long as the bike is used regularly there will be a film of oil on the vital bits and any water will settle out into the bottom of the case 'til it's churned up again. If you're going to store it for any length of time then it's worth chasing the water out for a fresh oil fill but not so much with regular use. This has been the way of the world for years but now we have a sight glass in the side of the tranny and can see the oil and all hell has broken loose. I drained lots of milky oil out of my old air cooled Bultacos.

Fill the oil halfway up the sight glass, fill the coolant to the top (some will percolate out as the bike warms and go riding.

Basically you would see pitting around the waterpump and some had holes in the case that caused the cooling system to purge into the primary side of the engine. Use a good quality, already mixed coolant like Silkolene Pro-Cool or Engine Ice. The biggest problem with corrosion was with tap water mixed with regular coolant. Particularly with the magnesium cases this caused a reaction that ate through case material due to the contaminents in the tap water.

Everybody panics when their gearbox oil is a little milky. Trials transmissions are not sealed and we do ride in all weather so just condensation alone can get into the gear oil which gets churned up into an emulsion. I've yet to hear of a transmission failure due to milky oil. As long as the bike is used regularly there will be a film of oil on the vital bits and any water will settle out into the bottom of the case 'til it's churned up again. If you're going to store it for any length of time then it's worth chasing the water out for a fresh oil fill but not so much with regular use. This has been the way of the world for years but now we have a sight glass in the side of the tranny and can see the oil and all hell has broken loose. I drained lots of milky oil out of my old air cooled Bultacos.

Fill the oil halfway up the sight glass, fill the coolant to the top (some will percolate out as the bike warms and go riding.

Cheers for that Dan