Team Greeves

trialsrfun

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One finished, two didn't. Not a dickybird on what happened.

Really surprised that after the panning the Greeves has taken on this forum over the last couple of years, people haven't been flooding in with the 'I told you so' quips.

Equally surprising that as it was the debut of an all British bike, there was no feedback, updates or apparent interest during the event itself, despite a thread being started. I'd have thought it was an ideal topic for the daily blog.

One finished, two didn't. Not a dickybird on what happened.

Really surprised that after the panning the Greeves has taken on this forum over the last couple of years, people haven't been flooding in with the 'I told you so' quips.

Equally surprising that as it was the debut of an all British bike, there was no feedback, updates or apparent interest during the event itself, despite a thread being started. I'd have thought it was an ideal topic for the daily blog.

I quite agree Woody why has much more not been made of the Greeves SSDT entries it should be headline news.

one packed up by the third group on the monday.my pal had to bring it back in his van.it was head gasket i think.i heard them say to a rider the head bolts had come loose.the lenth of time they have been testing, this shouldnt happen.wont do much for bike sales.if you enter the ssdt the main thing is 100% finish.

Got to agree that the PR for the new Greeves has been ''Grievous'' for the bike !

Time for them to seriously up their game if they want to be seen as a serious contender.

Have to say that what we have seen so far is a typically British effort - a potentially excellent product let down by a lack of corporate polish.

Now where is satchi & satchi's phone number.......... :blink:

Edited by Scoobydo

Hi I rode in the SSDT this year and got cornered by this guy and I get what ya mean! He seems pretty passionate about it but should listen to others more.

I was and after lengthy convo with him, am still not a big fan of the bike but I do like the fact it's 'British'. Frame/swingarm is machined/welded in england as is the CNC engine and crankshaft, plastics, radiator, airbox, fuel tank (previously carbon fibre now aluminium), exhaust, wheels (DID and custom greeves/talon hubs) but engine really does look like original sherco motor. 5 speed and much of the internals appear the same - right down to oil flow return from clutch to gear shafts.

Most other parts are made abroad, clutch is sureflex, wiseco pistons, grimeca brake/clutch parts (after failed ajp deal), custom ohlins/greeves shock (he couldn't answer if it was progressive or not as doesnt run linkage - remember progressive linkless beta shocks, required when no delta linkage), gears/flywheel, marzocchi forks, dunlops...many other parts are 'off the shelf items'. Kinda normal I suppose and no problem really - things like, gear change, brake pedal, kickstart, leonelli twin map ignition, dellorto vhst 28 etc.

As already stated two greeves went out and one finished! :s one lasted 6 sections!

After much faffing around, belief of failed head o-rings, measuring temperature of engine coolant at different places, measuring temperatures of exhaust at different places, looking at waterpumps, checking switching point of thermo switches and generally not listening to people's idea's on the problem, it was finally found to be rad cap's to be the problem - allowing system to over pressurise. I think they were blocked or sticking.

The guy reckon's he has sold around 20 or so, mainly abroad and has more orders and would like to sell 100-200 this year, he also said he would like an invester so production could be increased and wouldn't turn down offer's to make part's in china for instance where obviously much cheaper but kinda goes against the 'British-ness'!

In my opinion the bike needs some development in the looks department still, exhaust looks out of place - just stuck on the side, front mudguard fit's poorly, back mudguard looks strange, bike looks outta proportion, vac fuel pump just cable tied to frame (production bikes probably not like this), all personal opinion though. I do like the way frame mimicks old greeves models and it does have a comfortable riding position.

Big respect to the guy for funding it and giving it a go but he need's to improve looks and fit I think, listen to people trying to help, get an invester - he has funded whole project to date, update website and get out and about a bit more, rather than classic telford show - ssdt is good start though. But hey what do I know, I've never built a bike like he has - plenty of idea's like most people but not something I'd undertake.

Although I believe he had design/prototype out before sherco's current bike with switched airbox/fuel tank design (not to say sherco didn't have design floating around for a while - apparently they delayed bike release for a year or so while persuing xispa in courts), bur the sherco just does it so much better - yes there much more established firm but it's a sleek look and the greeves is bulky and square in comparison.

Also, a final bit of gossip that he said to me was that he has designed and plans to have for next year (in same frame) a 4 stroke 300+cc with as much power as 2 stroke, side valve, wait for it..........supercharged!! Is that made up?!? If true I would assume it would run a carb with charge air blown through it...time will tell I guess!

Congrat's on getting a finish though...I didn't! :( And that was on a proven bike...was rider error though, definatly not bike but hey that's a different story.

If I can remember anything else he said I'll re-post.

Good bit of info there shercogeezer,,, :thumbup:

I like this little bit the most

"Also, a final bit of gossip that he said to me was that he has designed and plans to have for next year (in same frame) a 4 stroke 300+cc with as much power as 2 stroke, side valve, wait for it..........supercharged!! Is that made up?!? If true I would assume it would run a carb with charge air blown through it...time will tell I guess!"..

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hi I rode in the SSDT this year and got cornered by this guy and I get what ya mean! He seems pretty passionate about it but should listen to others more.

I was and after lengthy convo with him, am still not a big fan of the bike but I do like the fact it's 'British'. Frame/swingarm is machined/welded in england as is the CNC engine and crankshaft, plastics, radiator, airbox, fuel tank (previously carbon fibre now aluminium), exhaust, wheels (DID and custom greeves/talon hubs) but engine really does look like original sherco motor. 5 speed and much of the internals appear the same - right down to oil flow return from clutch to gear shafts.

Most other parts are made abroad, clutch is sureflex, wiseco pistons, grimeca brake/clutch parts (after failed ajp deal), custom ohlins/greeves shock (he couldn't answer if it was progressive or not as doesnt run linkage - remember progressive linkless beta shocks, required when no delta linkage), gears/flywheel, marzocchi forks, dunlops...many other parts are 'off the shelf items'. Kinda normal I suppose and no problem really - things like, gear change, brake pedal, kickstart, leonelli twin map ignition, dellorto vhst 28 etc.

As already stated two greeves went out and one finished! :s one lasted 6 sections!

After much faffing around, belief of failed head o-rings, measuring temperature of engine coolant at different places, measuring temperatures of exhaust at different places, looking at waterpumps, checking switching point of thermo switches and generally not listening to people's idea's on the problem, it was finally found to be rad cap's to be the problem - allowing system to over pressurise. I think they were blocked or sticking.

The guy reckon's he has sold around 20 or so, mainly abroad and has more orders and would like to sell 100-200 this year, he also said he would like an invester so production could be increased and wouldn't turn down offer's to make part's in china for instance where obviously much cheaper but kinda goes against the 'British-ness'!

In my opinion the bike needs some development in the looks department still, exhaust looks out of place - just stuck on the side, front mudguard fit's poorly, back mudguard looks strange, bike looks outta proportion, vac fuel pump just cable tied to frame (production bikes probably not like this), all personal opinion though. I do like the way frame mimicks old greeves models and it does have a comfortable riding position.

Big respect to the guy for funding it and giving it a go but he need's to improve looks and fit I think, listen to people trying to help, get an invester - he has funded whole project to date, update website and get out and about a bit more, rather than classic telford show - ssdt is good start though. But hey what do I know, I've never built a bike like he has - plenty of idea's like most people but not something I'd undertake.

Although I believe he had design/prototype out before sherco's current bike with switched airbox/fuel tank design (not to say sherco didn't have design floating around for a while - apparently they delayed bike release for a year or so while persuing xispa in courts), bur the sherco just does it so much better - yes there much more established firm but it's a sleek look and the greeves is bulky and square in comparison.

Also, a final bit of gossip that he said to me was that he has designed and plans to have for next year (in same frame) a 4 stroke 300+cc with as much power as 2 stroke, side valve, wait for it..........supercharged!! Is that made up?!? If true I would assume it would run a carb with charge air blown through it...time will tell I guess!

Congrat's on getting a finish though...I didn't! :( And that was on a proven bike...was rider error though, definatly not bike but hey that's a different story.

If I can remember anything else he said I'll re-post.

Thank you for the info we now know what became of the Greeves entries in the SSDT. Perhaps one or two bikes entered in one day events may speed developement the SSDT is a biggie for a new machine.

Good bit of info there shercogeezer,,, :thumbup:

I like this little bit the most

"Also, a final bit of gossip that he said to me was that he has designed and plans to have for next year (in same frame) a 4 stroke 300+cc with as much power as 2 stroke, side valve, wait for it..........supercharged!! Is that made up?!? If true I would assume it would run a carb with charge air blown through it...time will tell I guess!"..

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

They could do with selling a few 2 strokers first, and maybe updating there website :thumbup: