2003 sherco 250 kickstart mech

myzeneye

problem with kick start ....

guys, ive got a problem with my kick start.... 98% of the time its fine, but on occaision it will appear to slip. i give it a slight few pumps to find the compression then go to give it a kick over and i get a loud clunking noise and the kick seems to slip down on its ratchet mech......

now im not sure whats in there exactly, and a friend who did the big end bearings recently said he couldnt see anything wrong in there when he had it all open.... he replaced a large "kickstart compression spring" in there but it has made any differance.....he's pretty good with things to be fair and i think he would have spotted anything obvious.....

i dont want to just start ordering kickstart pinions and ratchets etc when it potentially could be somthing daft a miss..... as i said, there doesnt appear to be anything visually wrong inside there, no broken teeth on ratchet mechs etc, nothing ???

any ideas, please, let me know.............

Edited by myzeneye

problem with kick start ....

guys, ive got a problem with my kick start.... 98% of the time its fine, but on occaision it will appear to slip. i give it a slight few pumps to find the compression then go to give it a kick over and i get a loud clunking noise and the kick seems to slip down on its ratchet mech......

now im not sure whats in there exactly, and a friend who did the big end bearings recently said he couldnt see anything wrong in there when he had it all open.... he replaced a large "kickstart compression spring" in there but it has made any differance.....he's pretty good with things to be fair and i think he would have spotted anything obvious.....

i dont want to just start ordering kickstart pinions and ratchets etc when it potentially could be somthing daft a miss..... as i said, there doesnt appear to be anything visually wrong inside there, no broken teeth on ratchet mechs etc, nothing ???

any ideas, please, let me know.............

Actually, I think this fairly normal as it seems all my bikes have done this at times. Think it has more to do with the light prodding not engaging the teeth fully.

oh well, thanks for confirming that guys,i dont disagree with what your saying, but i have to say though, it doesnt seem normal, but if you say it is, im good with that...........hahaha

the way it feels/sounds when it does it, i would have expected to find a missing tooth or splines on somthing, but as i said, its all good in there....

i had just wondered, because the teeth all seem good, but i dont know what the function/purpose of the spring and ball bearing etc are.... thought perhaps somthing wasnt allowing the teeth of the ratchet mech's to sit together nicly....hence installing a new compression spring..... but after having no joy with that.... im still wondering

thanks for your input guys

Had this problem with my '05.The problem is the teeth on the kickstart pinion and ratchet get slightly smeared and rounded. They still look okay but comparing them to a new set you can see the difference. Would be a good time to change H2O pump seals while case is off too. :banana2: