BRITISH SUPERBIKE CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND 03 SUNDAY 15 MAY CROFT

Andy

BYRNE AVENGES FIRST RACE DISAPPOINTMENT WITH VICTORY NEXT TIME OUT

Shane Byrne made amends for the bitter disappointment of a machine problem ruling him out of the opening race of the third round of the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship while leading as he comfortably took the victory next time out.

That victory, his second of the campaign, ensured that the HM Plant Honda rider left the North Yorkshire circuit as the series leader, albeit by only three points over the former MotoGP rider John Hopkins who took second and third placings on his Suzuki.

The opening race was delayed by rain, but the weather changed and the race was declared dry, leaving the riders with something of a dilemma about tyre choice. Byrne, who had scorched to pole start opted to begin the race on full slicks, but his team-mate, three times champion Ryuichi Kiyonari, taking note of the storm clouds expected more rain and made a more cautious selection.

Kiyonari, who had a difficult time in qualifying with machine settings, started from the fourth row of the grid, but was soon losing ground as the expected rains failed to materialise while out front Byrne was heading the action, only to slow a little as a few spots of rain fell.

Byrne was almost three seconds clear when disaster struck him on the eighth lap on the start-finish straight, with tell tale smoke pouring from his bike. His race was run, and he pulled off with the Safety Car brought out as officials checked for any oil spill. That bunched the pack, and Hopkins, who had been second to Byrne, led the action, only to be taken by his team-mate Jon Kirkham at two thirds distance en route to his maiden victory in the series.

Kiyonari dejectedly finished back in 25th position and for the second race that meant a seventh row start, while Byrne was on the front row and making good use of that as he quickly reeled in opening lap leader Gary Mason riding Kawasaki. Once ahead, Byrne dictated terms, leading throughout to take his second victory of the campaign and regain the lead in the title stakes from Hopkins who had gone ahead after the first race.

Reigning champion Kiyonari was full of fight in the race, riding with the style and speed that has taken him to 42 race victories and three titles in the series, and he was moving through the pack in a damage limitation exercise that took him to an eventual 15th place, and a consolation championship point.

Alex Lowes maintained his domination of the "back to basics" BSB-EVO class with a winning double aboard the WFR Honda, excelling in the opening race as he finished fifth overall, and then taking eleventh next time out. His team-mate, former Supersport and Superstock champion Glen Richards ran second to him in class in each race.

Honda rider quotes:

Shane Byrne (HM Plant Honda): "The first race was obviously disappointing for me and the team as I desperately wanted to win and do a good job for our sponsors HM Plant at their home round. In the first race it was a gamble on tyres and we opted for slicks, but it was the right choice and we were able to build up a lead. We were unlucky to have a mechanical failure whilst leading as we have done so many miles on the bikes and it was just a shame it happened in the race. The team then worked hard between the races to get me ready for race two and I had a bit of a strategy to just see how the race unfolded. We tried hard, settled down and then I just pushed to edge the gap and then tried to keep it consistent and control the lead. It was disappointment to elation for me in one day but we were able to end the day on a high and it was a great victory for myself and the team."

Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda): "It has been a difficult weekend for me and I have been trying many different changes but we still were running the same lap times, but we have worked hard to try and fix the problem. In the first race it was a decision on tyres and we thought it would rain more, so we went for wets but that was the wrong choice and I just couldn't push. In the second race I had to start so far down the grid because of race one and then it was hard work but we still made passes and moved forward. It is disappointing for me and the team."

Alex Lowes (WFR Honda): "This has been a mega day for me, one that I have really enjoyed. I didn't realise I was as high up in the first race as I was. It was good to be running up front. The bike was really good as is the team. Then in the second race, again I had a really good pace and took another victory in the EVO class. And with Glen (Richards) my team-mate second in each of the races it has been a brilliant day for the team."

RESULTS

BRITISH SUPERBIKE

RACE1:

POS / RIDER / NAT / MOTORCYCLE / TIME / GAP

1 / JON KIRKHAM / GBR / Suzuki - Samsung Crescent Racing / 26:41.827 /

2 / JOHN HOPKINS / USA / Suzuki - Samsung Crescent Racing / 26:44.767 / 2.940

3 / GARY MASON / GBR / Kawasaki - MSS Colchester Kawasaki / 26:45.542 / 3.715

4 / LORIS BAZ / FRA / Yamaha - Motorpoint Yamaha / 26:55.162 / 13.335

5 / ALEX LOWES / GBR / Honda - Team WFR / 26:56.526 / 14.699

6 / STUART EASTON / GBR / Kawasaki - MSS Colchester Kawasaki / 27:01.260 / 19.433

7 / PETER HICKMAN / GBR / Honda - Tyco Honda / 27:04.282 / 22.455

8 / JOSH BROOKES / AUS / Suzuki - Relentless Suzuki by TAS / 27:06.124 / 24.297

9 / GLEN RICHARDS / AUS / Honda - Team WFR / 27:07.890 / 26.063 10 / TOMMY BRIDEWELL / GBR / Honda - Tyco Honda / 27:09.574 / 27.747

11 / HUDSON KENNAUGH / RSA / Aprilia - Splitlath Motorsport /

27:10.336 / 28.509

12 / JAMES WESTMORELAND / GBR / Yamaha - Motorpoint Yamaha / 27:14.086 / 32.259

13 / JOHN LAVERTY / GBR / BMW - Buildbase BMW Motorrad / 27:41.463 / 59.636

14 / TOMMY HILL / GBR / Yamaha - Swan Yamaha / 27:45.790 / 1:03.963

15 / TOM TUNSTALL / GBR / BMW - Doodson Motorsport / 27:47.946 / 1:06.119

Fastest lap: Jon KIRKHAM GBR Suzuki - Samsung Crescent Racing Lap 18 1:23.860 146.81 Km/h

RACE2:

POS / RIDER / NAT / MOTORCYCLE / TIME / GAP

1 / SHANE BYRNE / GBR / Honda - HM Plant Honda / 27:46.928 /

2 / STUART EASTON / GBR / Kawasaki - MSS Colchester Kawasaki /

27:48.815 / 1.887

3 / JOHN HOPKINS / USA / Suzuki - Samsung Crescent Racing / 27:49.197 / 2.269

4 / JOSH BROOKES / AUS / Suzuki - Relentless Suzuki by TAS / 27:49.389 / 2.461

5 / LORIS BAZ / FRA / Yamaha - Motorpoint Yamaha / 27:52.445 / 5.517

6 / TOMMY HILL / GBR / Yamaha - Swan Yamaha / 27:53.022 / 6.094

7 / GARY MASON / GBR / Kawasaki - MSS Colchester Kawasaki / 27:53.676 / 6.748

8 / MICHAEL RUTTER / GBR / Ducati - Rapid Solicitors Bathams Ducati /

27:55.048 / 8.120

9 / PETER HICKMAN / GBR / Honda - Tyco Honda / 27:55.325 / 8.397

10 / TOMMY BRIDEWELL / GBR / Honda - Tyco Honda / 27:56.585 / 9.657

11 / ALEX LOWES / GBR / Honda - Team WFR / 27:57.347 / 10.419

12 / JAMES WESTMORELAND / GBR / Yamaha - Motorpoint Yamaha / 27:59.625 / 12.697

13 / CHRIS WALKER / GBR / Kawasaki - Pr1mo Racing / 28:03.759 / 16.831

14 / IAN LOWRY / GBR / BMW - Buildbase BMW Motorrad / 28:04.606 / 17.678

15 / RYUICHI KIYONARI / JPN / Honda - HM Plant Honda / 28:07.223 / 20.295

Fastest lap: Shane BYRNE GBR Honda - HM Plant Honda Lap 6 1:20.394 153.14 Km/h

CHAMPIONSHIP POSITIONS TO DATE:

1 BYRNE 95, 2 HOPKINS 92, 3 EASTON 89, 4 KIYONARI 59, 5 HILL 57, 6 KIRKHAM 54,

7 BAZ 51, 8 MASON 44, 9 RUTTER 42, 10 HICKMAN 37, 11 LAVERTY 35, 12 BROOKES 31

13 LOWES 30, 14 BRIDEWELL 28, 15 LINFOOT 23.

NEXT EVENT: ROUND 04 SUNDAY MAY 30 THRUXTON