7 year old Son, advice please

nellyp

New on here just looking for a bit of advice please!

I'm just looking to get my son, who's 7, involved in trials and the first hurdle is what to buy. The Osets seem like a great idea due to the low noise factor allowing him to practice in the garden. Are they a viable alternative to the TY80?

With either of these options are there plenty of trials (Midlands Centre) that would accommodate either of these bikes?

Or do i need to bite the bullet and spend money on a Rev50 or TXT Boy?

You advice will be gratefully recived! Thanks

It depends on the level your son is at? Can he ride a bike already? Does he have experience of gears and also do you have access to practice land?

If he is just starting then the OSET may be the better route to take until He has the confidence to "do" obsticles. Then look at Petrol bikes.

I have a 6 year old who was very lucky at Christmas when Santa delivered him an Oset.

This was perfect for him and he soon learned the basics and loved it. He has ridden two trials on it and been out riding various times, and the fact he could ride it by the house was a beauty!!!

However, in his case he soon started wanting to move onto a 'proper petrol bike'. So basically after about 6 months he has moved on and was ready for a proper bike. I managed to get him a little Sherco 50cc which he rode in the local two day youth trial last weekend, and which he now loves. He had only had 2 half hour rides on it before this so without the Oset he wouldn't have had the skills and confidence.

So I think that if your lad is starting from scratch, the Oset is perfect, but be prepared if he loves it for the progression to happen fairly soon, particularly if he is already a bit older or already quite big on the bike.

It depends on the level your son is at? Can he ride a bike already? Does he have experience of gears and also do you have access to practice land?

If he is just starting then the OSET may be the better route to take until He has the confidence to "do" obsticles. Then look at Petrol bikes.

Telecat, Cubby, thanks for the replies, he's ridden autos before but nothing with a clutch. I'm slightly worried about being in the same situation as Cubby where he'll want a "real" bike after a couple of months. However the Osets seem to hold there money well so not to much too lose there.

Great advice from the lads, the TY80 is a great starter bike but to get the hang of things from zero maybe a GG50 Boy as they are twist and go.

Bought my 8 year old daughter one 2 months ago, once set up right its ideal............looks upto date.

Bewdley are running an evening series for beginners starting on 9th June at Shatterford near Kidderminster, come along and have a look. :thumbup:

Great advice from the lads, the TY80 is a great starter bike but to get the hang of things from zero maybe a GG50 Boy as they are twist and go.

Bought my 8 year old daughter one 2 months ago, once set up right its ideal............looks upto date.

Bewdley are running an evening series for beginners starting on 9th June at Shatterford near Kidderminster, come along and have a look. :thumbup:

Jam, i'll come along and take a look thanks for the info.

all the advice offered is gratefully recieved, the thing thats swinging me in favour of the Oset/TY80 is cost, from what i've seen ty80's/Oset's are 5/600 quid. Whereas Rev 50/GG50/Shercos are all over a grand.

Unless anybody knows different! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't discount the Oset. I had a go on a 36V 16.0 at the weekend and it was really good fun, even for an adult. We had a lad with us and he was riding over 45 gallon drum sized obstacles on it so you can do some more advanced stuff on them. On that note they are ace for hopping and bopping on if that's your thing. Making no noise means your lad can ride it every day and will come on really fast. All the skills you need you can practise on the Oset other than clutch and gears. A great way to learn I reckon.

My 9yr old had his first outing on the Rev 50 yesterday and did really well with the clutch. I dropped the bike through the forks 1" and rolled the bars back slightly to make it easier for turns. Just need to bring the long clutch lever closer to the bars and it will be spot on for him.

I let him slowly release the clutch while I was on the bike a couple of times (no throttle at all) and then he had a go on a big flat field. I jogged alongside him for a minute and then left him to it, he was stood up and buzzing around with a huge grin on his face all afternoon.

He crashed into a fence and trapped his thumb right at the end of the day which put a bit of a dampener on it but he's still really keen to get out on it again next week.

"I parked it Dad!"

iPhone%20Photos2%20329.jpg

By the way, he started off on the Oset 12.5" and then the bigger 16" version which he recently grew out of. Great little bikes to get going on, anywhere, any time...

By the way, he started off on the Oset 12.5" and then the bigger 16" version which he recently grew out of. Great little bikes to get going on, anywhere, any time...

I think you've made my mind up, an Oset. And then a Rev50 for Christmas if he gets into it. Only if he's a good boy though...

Edited by nellyp

I think you've made my mind up, an Oset. And then a Rev50 for Christmas if he gets into it. Only if he's a good boy though...

Good choice, it will sell easily if he gets bored and wants to move up. Just found this on YouTube from 4 years ago!

We have gone down the pee wee then Ty 80 and then rev at 7yr. Either ways you should get your money back on a ossett or rev 50.1000 might sound like a lot of money for the rev but they can be harder to get hold of then the Ty.

Edited by boni_tou_1