Duncan Mcdonald

lastplacebrad

My post was not aimed specifically at the bike in the picture. I've no idea whether they're riding that in pre-65. I would think probably not, it's too obvious a job.

It applies more generally to trick bikes hidden (to some extent) as pre-65.

Should a pre-65 bike be allowed to use yamaha forks/wheels for instance, titanium parts. Then there must be rules to speak of.

There doesn't seem to be any harm in some of the modifications, that perhaps help with reliability, but trying to get a pre-65 bike down in weight to that of a modern machine is taking the ****.

Someone has to write/enforce the rules, or it's not a competition surely?

Someone mentioned the spirit of pre-65. What is the spirit of pre-65?

Looks to me like Duncan has it right, if you're going to modernise the bikes that much, then compete in a modern class and show the gassers/sherco's a thing or two. Brilliant spirit.

Edited by bikespace

The bike in the picture is nothing to do with Duncan Mc Donald, and I am sure it would make him laugh, to think anyone might have thought, he had anything to do with building such a machine!

My comment about Duncan McDonald was referring to the comments at the top of the thread, where he won clubman B on his bike.

It's like explaining computers to me grandad this. You sort of wish you hadn't started :D

Edited by bikespace

Looks to me like Duncan has it right, if you're going to modernise the bikes that much, then compete in a modern class and show the gassers/sherco's a thing or two. Brilliant spirit.

Just wanted to emphasise the fact that the trial in question (at which I also rode) was an East Yorkshire centre event, not a pre-65 or twinshock event, nor were there classes for either of these categories. Mr Macdonald won the clubman B class against all of the usual modern machinery ridden by some pretty handy riders (myself excluded). And as Brad mentioned, he had the most wonderful, fluid riding style that made that Triumph look like it was almost floating across the rocks. Very impressive.

For me it was another vivid example of how rider ability and experience is far more important than the bike that you ride.

std Cubs have an oil tank but the Armac is oil in frame like many other 60s bikes BSA, Rickman etc, the Armac frame is purchased as three seperate parts ie main loop, rear subframe & swinging arm & each of these three items is designed to be fitted as a direct replacement part to a std cub frame. Each part would save a little weight but when finished dimensionally the bike would be similar to a std Cub. Everything else engine, forks, rear units wheels etc would be no different to any other Cub good or bad out there. As ever the finished article would only be as good as your skills allowed or funds permitted, and then of course it has to be ridden ?

• 1 month later...

• 6 years later...