Trying to balance and learn hopping

Want to learn hopping the front wheel. Have watched the vids and get how you compress the front suspension and work with it on the way back up. . . but whenever i try to stop and balance and try I always loose balance

I can balance on the bike in the shed with engine off with the front wheel turned about 45degrees but cant when its straight. . .

Any tips on how to learn hopping or should I go back to trying to balance with front wheel straight? I was told that hopping helps balancing and vice versa so they compliment each other

was thinking about getting someone to hold the bike steady while I try hopping. . .

Edited by tayto94

I always found that if you say want to hop the front left for example, do what you say with the forks but before you actually hop get your Centre of gravity/body over to the left and bring the wheel/bike back under you. If you are centered and hop the wheel away you are then off balance a dab is often required. Bring the bike back under you with the hop, don't hop it away from under you.

Just practice is the best approach to any situation.

I learned how to hop front and rear wheels by slowly just trying to get the wheel off the ground. Learn the technique. Unless your bridging something its very difficult to balance while having the bike strait. Start by getting your self balanced with your wheel left or right doesn't matter just whats more comfortable. For the front wheel keep the brakes on and compress the front suspension then throw your weight back over the rear tire and just try to get the tire a few inches off the ground the first time. Start with getting one hop down then go for two and three and so on and so forth. Ryan has a great vid of how to do it when learning. Get his first training vid it will really help you out.

IF the only time you would need to hop the front (or rear ) sideways is if you havn't got enough steering lock...unless your'e doing sections that require putting a tyre where you can't simply ride it to..logically it would follow that hopping from a steering turned position is all you need. I know sometimes we might run out of space for othe reasons best "advice" I can come up with is to not look down at where your tyre is i.e look ahead a bit more.. or better only ride events that are well marked out with a choice of lines. oops thats another topic.. all best

Want to learn hopping the front wheel. Have watched the vids and get how you compress the front suspension and work with it on the way back up. . . but whenever i try to stop and balance and try I always loose balance

I can balance on the bike in the shed with engine off with the front wheel turned about 45degrees but cant when its straight. . .

Any tips on how to learn hopping or should I go back to trying to balance with front wheel straight? I was told that hopping helps balancing and vice versa so they compliment each other

was thinking about getting someone to hold the bike steady while I try hopping. . .

When hopping I have the front wheel straight but on balance I have it at 45 deg. As I start to hop I straighten it. Don't worry about losing balance when you start hopping. Most of us had that problem..

Cheers for the tips, I think im working too much through my arms instead of throwing my back . . . well . . back!!!

Practice and lots of it me thinks is needed!!!

I have promised myself im gonna get the knack of it by end of summer!!!

Cheers for the tips, I think im working too much through my arms instead of throwing my back . . . well . . back!!!

Ah, I think I see your problem. Don't use your back use your legs. It's intuitive to use your back and shoulders but wrong.