Column 207 - Better Late Than Never

Andy

I don't know if you were at the awards presentation on the Saturday night Michael, but to have the centenary winner (2011 - James Dabill - Beta), with the winner 50 years ago (1961 - Gordon Jackson - AJS) presenting the main award to him, how many events have had that happen I wonder?

Big John

Hi Guy's

Hi Mike.

Totally agree with you about the Greeves, All effort in the wrong place if you ask me. Where a batch of the TES etc, Of which he has all the tooling?? would be good.

Regards Charlie.

Agreed but from comments from people who have bought "new" bikes from them the finish and fit would need to be improved. Who wants to have to "rebuild" a new bike before you can use it even if it is a new replica of a pre 65 bike. Kind of money Greeves would be asking you'd be better off buying an Armac Cub or one from Bob Moore. At least it would be probably more reliable and definately more sorted.

Fantastic weather and well organised event as usual.

One small gripe about the shuttle bus. We parked at An Aird early pm on weigh in Sunday and being with a couple in their 70's we waited for the shuttle bus - and waited - and waited. After 30mins we gave up. I walked across town and found the bus sat in the West End car park.

I asked the army driver how long since he'd been to An Aird. Some time he said. I've been told to wait here for 'customers' he said. I politely pointed out the error of his ways and off he went.

If someone could have a word in the drivers' ears for next year it would be appreciated. Great idea but spoilt by the detail.

To all involved well done - keep up the good work.

I don't want to be too negative but since we're on an open forum and the organisers probably want to hear what everone thinks here goes.

This was the best SSDT I've been to in almost every respect. The idea of a central hub in the west end carpark was great and given time could turn in to the place to be in the evenings. The running of the trial, the sections and even the weather were all great. The extra stuff on Sunday with the old bikes and the like were great but it's actually Sunday that I do have a complaint about.

The parade saw bigger crouds than I've ever see. Warm sunshine saw people 5 or six deep the entire length of the main street. Unfortunatly the parade was controlled to a dribble of bikes over a long time as someone was stopping and interviewing the riders at the square. This is not a bad idea on its own but concider that only the few hundred people near the square could here the interviews or even know they were happening. This is because there were only loudspeakers in the square. The thousands of others further up and down just looked confused and eventually bored of seeing one or two bikes with large gaps between them. The crowd soon started wondering off (me included). Great shame but easily cured for next year.