Putting the Bash Plate Back on

tayto94

I took the bash plate off when I was giving th bike a complete going over, had the bike on the lift and swingarm out so said i might aswell.

Coming off it sene lik it was under a right bit of stress, as if it was bent round then bolts put on. Is there any knack or trick to getting them back on?

Cheers

I took the bash plate off when I was giving th bike a complete going over, had the bike on the lift and swingarm out so said i might aswell.

Coming off it sene lik it was under a right bit of stress, as if it was bent round then bolts put on. Is there any knack or trick to getting them back on?

Cheers

try using a ratchet strap around seat and under bash plate with bike back on stand help of another person helps

Fit the rear bolts, then get some woodwork clamps.

Clamp the bashplate & frame at the front next to the bolt hole.

Then pop in the bolt.

Also you can use a longer bolt as you are tightening the clamp to help line things up.

Bend it in a press, every time you land on the bashplate you're basically trying to straighten it out. If you don't have access to a press you can do it using a couple of blocks of wood & a sledgehammer

Any time I take mine off I make sure to do it at work so I can get it bent back to the correct shape which means no load on the bolts

Bend it in a press, every time you land on the bashplate you're basically trying to straighten it out. If you don't have access to a press you can do it using a couple of blocks of wood & a sledgehammer

Any time I take mine off I make sure to do it at work so I can get it bent back to the correct shape which means no load on the bolts

He's right simple as that

I put front bolts on the used mole grips either side to pull the back up and get a bolt in with a bit of the nut on, you can just get enough without blocking the bolthole, did one side then other then tightened it up abit more, same on front then nipped them all up together

It sounds like your bolts are miles away from lining up, so like Tony27 says, you're going to have to 're-structure' :D that bash plate first..good luck.

I had the same problem with a previous bike and I had to take my plate to a engineering workshop with a press.

Hi

Re fitting bash plate.

With the earlier Shercos, I start the underneath bolts, then use a long bolt in one side at the front.

I pull the plate up with these, then fit the missing front bolt and then exchange the long bolt.

This works for me.

I used to use an old metal fire 'poker' to align the holes on my OSSA.

The proper thing to do is as the others say, try to get the shape back as it was, otherwise there is too much stress on the bolts.

Also, if the plate has 'flattened' it may soon impinge on the crank case or gear box or whatever it is supposed to be protecting, and transfer the forces through and damage the casings...? :wall:

• 4 weeks later...

I got it back on by outting in the two bottom ones loosely,then using ratchet straps and clamps to align the front holes,then just slot the bolts in..the bolts might be under a bit of stress but its the best i could get it!!!now all i gotta do is start hitting it of rocks!!!!or not if i was any good!!!