6004 2RS bearings on the 'bay

tufty

Hi

My view is it all depends on where they are going.

• Wheel bearings, swingarm etc... fine. Easy to replace, often fail due to contamination (not quality).
  • Main bearings, little end, gearbox etc...no chance!!!

Be aware that as well as basic quality there are different pre-load grades for some applications.

Main bearings for instance are assembled to a different tolerance (C3) to cope with the rapid temperature rise / temperature differential across the bearing.

Dom

I use them and never had any worrys with them...

Its worth regreeceing them before you fit them. Just pick the seals out and push some better greece into the brearing and then replace seals. :thumbup::thumbup:

horses for courses as the first reply stated for your mains etc use good quality stuff ( check out the specs on a bearing factors site and you ll see that generally the more expensive brands are rated for higher speeds and strength) the lower quality stuff is ideal for trials wheels , low speeds low stresses ( how many revs does a wheel do in a trial never mind a minute) repacking with waterproof grease before using will help but dont over pack.. two thirds of the race is more than enough. dont jet wash the things and always use shielded rather than open. make friends with your local bearing factor they have something for everything or can get it and will help you out no end.

Edited by totalshell

ive just bought a set of them myself and have had plenty of wheel bearings of ebay for about 2.50 for a pair as the price of a set of ten has just come down from about 15-20quid and they have been absolutely fine. i wouldn't bother taking them apart and repacking them with grease as they have a specific amount of grease in the bearing for optimum lubrication throughout their life and if you pack too much in then they actually wear out quicker as the grease becomes an abrasive rather than lubricant. for the price you will be paying for a set of cheap ones like that it would be fine putting two to four sets in to one set of good quality ones anyway.

I use 6004 rs bearings in electric motors regularly and bikes from time to time. From what I have seen you get exactly what you pay for. Having negotiated huge discounts from bearing distributors cost has no bearing " no pun intended " on my choice. Cheap bearings are never going to last so I always fit the best with the largest clearance. I only pay around

I was always told to buy German, British or Jap bearings and steer clear of chinese ones. I buy mine from a local belt and bearing place and have no issues.

If you buy cheapies it is worth having as peek inside as it happens, I've seen some with barely a drop of lube in them. It can be worth adding a little bit of grease sometimes.