Rocks and double blip

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah ive only been out about 4 times as my bike was in bits for over 7 months lol. Its mad how quick you get back into it though! Say hi if ya see me up charltons, always up for a natter and meeting people and trying different things im game for most stuff ill attempt out

Looking at your technique I see almost nil movement in your legs.

Approach the rock and divide your your technique into two steps.

Step one: small wheelie 80-90% up the base of the rock and compress legs.

Step two: blip throttle whilst extending legs (can dump the clutch one perfected)

count down the steps in your head "one and two" ones the wheelie twos the jump (extension and blip)

Go practice grasshopper, try a smaller rock or log if perfected the rear wheel will hardly hit the obstical.

Edited by yamfan

Grasshopper haha i like it!

Wait so im not to use my clutch between step one and two? I stuggle more with smaller rocks as they take no effort and you can just ride up them so cant feel if your doing it right or not

I had a great instructor for my first trials lesson. He set my bike (skidplate) on top of a log, shut the engine off, and told me to jump the bike over log with no engine, to concentrate on how much body input is required without the distraction of the engine and all the timing and trying to hit the wheel in the right spot. There are so many things going on at the same time it's difficult to learn. This made a big improvement in my riding. I couldn't get over the log (at least not smoothly) before, and after the engine off practice I could roll over it every time. Jumping with the engine off is very tiring, and feels boring, you're probably like me and want to ride, but if you take the time to master these things they'll pay off for years to come.

Find a fairly big log, big enough so when your rear tire is on the ground and skidplate on the log, the front wheel is maybe a foot above the ground on the other side. Sit the skidplate on the log so you have stable balance, engine off, lean way back and then pull yourself forward and pretend you're trying to throw yourself over the bars, but as your weight comes off the bike you pull up and forward on the bars, and once you get this timing down you'll be surprised at how easily the rear will float over the log and follow your body weight. I was actually banging my thighs into the bars a lot as I learned this, so expect a few bruises, but the pain teaches you to get the timing right so you're not hitting the bars.

Honestly, once I mastered the hop and was ready for the double blip, I still found the timing too complicated to master, so I rolled slowly to the log, hopped the front up with almost no gas, and when it rebounded I jumped the bike over with zero gas, and it was very smooth. Without the power and speed, it's easier to learn the timing, and then you can gradually increase.

My biggest mistakes (still are) when learning is I want to ride hard and skip over the basics, but now I realize I need them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hello johnnybmac. I noticed that you ride into the rocks straight legged and dont use your legs to unload the suspension to help you up and over. I think if you ride on the balls of your feet with weight slightly back as you make your approach and bend your legs a little and jump up and forward with a blip just as your front tire touches the rock you can cause the rear suspension to preload and unload allowing the rear tire to lift and climb up the rock face. Try hitting the rock with your front tire 3/4 of the way up the rock face. Oops! I just noticed that others have written somthing similar.

Edited by Liviob

I'm also trying...

Last sunday, a guy who should know how to do it (8X Dutch Champion), told me to keep my weight above the pegs (no leaning back) for the first wheely and bent your elbows. So the bar comes up to your chest! Then you can push the wheel down where you want to have it (3/4 to just below top)

Time to practice this tomorrow...

Maybe it can help you guys also

The videos are great - keep up the good work.

At the point your front wheel touches the rock, you need to be jumping UP!! You are not going to be able to do that unless you bend your knees. Nearly all the videos illustrate that your legs are nearly locked straight when you are going up and over the concrete tubes, when they should be bent.

Watch the "pros", they are always crouched down ready to jump.

You will succeed and learn faster than you ever imagined if you concentrate on BENDING YOUR KNEES. At all times, no matter what you are doing. Don't forget to bend your arms too. It works like magic. Once you start doing it you realize the bike and your body have to move completely independently.

Hope that helps and keep us informed of your progress!!!

It feels as though i am bending my knees!

I know what you mean, even though it feels like your knees are bent, they aren't in the split second they need to be. Looking at the videos you seem to be straightening your knees just before the front wheel hit the rock but you need to straighten and "jump up" your chest towards the handlebars just after the wheel hits the rock.

Practice practice practice! And if something isn't working out, try shifting the weight or knees or arms to see if that makes a difference. You need to challenge yourself a little bit every now and then to improve!

cheers

I'm working on the same thing right now, I can picture what i need to do and know the theory but it's like everything needs to happen so fast

After practicing on every rock I can find I actually think I am getting there

Do you need to push the front end into the rock at the same time you preload the rear?

Or do you just let the front end hit with it's own force and only preload the rear

I think I over analyze this stuff LOL

You've made some of us realise what crap coaches we are :stoned: I have to go outside and do it to tell the difference.

I watched your vids a load of times to try to see what was going wrong. As a few people have said, your legs are really rigid. Need to get a bit of movement in there. I reckon really exagerate it at first bouncing the bike over it. For that size of rock you don't particularly need to slam it in below the peak, just need to get that back end compressed so that when you blip, the tyre is pasted in to the floor and the suspension extends and hops you over. I dunno whether it will help you or not, but you should be able to get the second blip short enough to literally jump you up the rock and stop on the top (with the brakes of course).

Quite enjoyed the vids though, good idea.