TOP BSA C15 FOR SALE

charlie prescott

Hi Guy's.

Hi OTF, Are you saying that someone, is having a load of new BSA unit bits made then? surley not/ I did not know about this? or should I have? my mind does seem to wander now-adays though. I thought a guy named Wassel was the only boy that was having new replica BSA parts made. :rolleyes: ?

Regards Charlie.

When the market gets desperate enough and the supply dries up i am sure an enterprising person will "find" or remanufacture but only when they can charge a LOT of money for them. As an example i know of people who have sheds full of Bantam bits that they wont sell at the moment for love nor money and i am sure C15 and B40 bits are no different plus when you take into account the ex army stuff that was exported, look at the amount of ex French forces cubs now finally being offered for sale, i am sure at some point when the price is right the Pandoras box will open. Example is there are more Manx Nortons racing now than Norton ever made.

Everything is available to those who can afford it.

Just read the last post and then switched across to a French online for sale site I know looking for tiger cubs. Someone has let the cat out of the bag already as a really rough, really rough one in khaki Euros 2500 and a shiny one although not trialable.... Euros 4700.. no bargins this side of the channel methinks !!!!!!!

Hi Guy's.

Hi OTF.

Yes I know what you are saying, and I know there are a load of military B40's in Jordan, for instance. but are you going to get them out of that country? and pay the tax's etc, and then make a profit on the parts? Someone will by the load for scrap, it is worth more. So parts will get re-made when they are needed.

Regards Charlie.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guy's.

Hi Dave,

Just wondered if there was any progress with your Faber Mk3 Otter BSA build?

I have a Mk 3 Faber frame to fit a Cub engine in for my nephhew in the IOM to ride.

I have decided to fit what is in actual fact a large capacity cylindrical oil filter to increase the oil capacity as well as the oil in the frame. (pictures on the www.bsaotter.com ) site shortly along with the build photos.

Are you still fitting a oil tank? As I said I would love to have pictures of your build to put onto the "Otter" site if you have time, and a few build notes?? :thumbup:

Regards Charlie.

Hi Charlie - I've only just started to pick up on it again this last week as since I broke my collarbone a couple of months ago I haven't even been able to twirl spanners or anything as although the breaks are healing, the muscle damage is taking longer. At 52 you don't heal like you did at 18 that's for sure... I was going to have a good go at it today and have been laid out with a bad migraine, so another false start...

Yes, I am still using seperate oil tank and air box. This is all done, I have a seperate cannister type oil filter as well from D&C Classics I think it was, whoever it is that builds the expensive Triumph twin trials bikes

One thing I noticed with the frame compared to my old bike which had the rear subframe slimmed down, is how wide it is from the footrests back. The mudguard looks lost in the rear frame loop and I hated it - so I cut the loop off.... They could have made it a lot slimmer.

With the gearbox ratios used (no idea) and the gearbox sprocket that is fitted I have been told by the engine builder it will need a 42 tooth rear sprocket on a 520 chain. I'm using a Sherpa rear wheel and it just happens to have a 41 tooth sprocket at the moment. This may be a problem as the chain run from front to back is low in height due to the small rear sprocket, so the chain touches the frame cross member behind the engine above the swingarm (why do they make it like that...?) Someone else who has the same gearbox ratios as mine has already said his gearing feels low and the sprocket needs to be smaller. There is no chance of that as it will make the problem worse so it may need a bigger gearbox sprocket and bigger rear sprocket to lift the chain.

I'm getting close to the point that I will be able to start it up and have a ride around the garden but lots of small things to be sorted first like cables, chain tensioner, oil pipe runs, wheels I can ride it on as opposed to push it around on. All takes time and I only have weekends to work on it at the moment. That will be interupted again next weekend as I'm on a speed awareness course next Saturday (better than 3 points but only just...) and observing at the Greensmith on Sunday.

I'll see if I can get some pictures and send them to you.

Hi Guy's

Hi Dave.

Heard about your mishap.

Things do take longer to get better the older you are, and then you start feeling older when you are ill! Like both me and you today. Doing my website and a bit on here helps to take my mind off feeling ill.

I agree about the Faber sub frame it is a bit wide. When I look at the SQ frame of mine ( see web site) I feel that is a lot better. Most "Otters" have plastic pads on the swinging arm box, as yes it is wide and high.

Has your swinging arm got the New plastic bushes? It would be good if you could send me some pictures etc. Hope we both get well soon.

Regards Charlie.

Swingarm came with rubber/steel insert bushes but they won't be going in. I have to work something else out and also get rid of the HUGE nuts either end of the spindle.

I need the bike outside to take pictures as there is no room in the shed to get the bike into a shot. I need daylight for pictures so as soon as I work on it again, I'll get some to you.

Hi Guy's.

Hi Dave.

The Mk1 Faber "Otter" frame used to come with a swinging arm spindle with a narrow nut bronze welded to one side and I seem to remember a slimed down lock nut on the brake side. I know this sound painfull but I turn my own nuts with a larger diameter and a slimmer profile. You can always turn the back off of a lock nut for one side, and braize a thick washer to the other side. :thumbup: Any way you know what you are doing.

PS I may try some PTFE bushes as I have a lump I can machine some out of. And have fitted some into the SQ frame. Thanks Dave.

Regards Charlie.