Fantic 200 Ignition, guys we gotta help

lee harris

Here are some piccies which i have uploaded for IVOR. I have never seen this type of conversion before? Anybody else? Apart from the fact that there is no weight of the flywheel, would it or could it work???

Be nice to her, she is like Sophie Loren, really hot in her day. One good reason to finish what you started.

bast001.jpg

bast002.jpg

bast003.jpg

bast004.jpg

bast005.jpg

bast006.jpg

bast007.jpg

bast008.jpg

Edited by Lee Harris

Thank you very much Mr Harris for doing something I should know how to do, that put photos on here. But as a 42 year old that is very happy Sky invented Sky+ you all know where I'm coming from.

Could you please have a look at the photo's that Lee has posted and give me any ideas on what or how to complete the bike, otherwise I'm going back to Motocross...........was only joking. The knees are knackered and I don't bounce that well nowadays.

It seems my wife brought me a complete dog and its taken me over a year to get to this stage, everything else has been sorted I just need to be able to wire her up and hopefully get a spark.

She is looking a million dollars but at the moment is all show and no go.

Any ideas would gratefully be acted on as I can't wait to ride her.

Many thanks.

:iamwithstupid: Not to be mean , But I'd start looking for the bits to make it all original ... Will most likely be alot less frustrating in the long run !!! I'm sure the parts can be sourced in your neck of the woods .

Glenn B) Good luck with her :)

Theres no reason why it shouldn't work but the best thing by far would be to convert it back to electronic ignition - points are vastly inferior.

Hi Grib, I think I can source original parts, but I need more info on "it should work". To get a spark at the correct time, you will need a voltage, an earth, and a timer. Assiming the points do act at the right time, and assuming we take the chassis as earth, where would IVOR fit his one cable...

Her has a metal canned Dansi coil, with three connections and also a Ducati with the same. How "should it work".

thanky

Edited by Lee Harris

He will need two cables to make it work (which he already appears to have from the pictures) - one needs to go from the voltage coil to the HT coil (+ve terminal) and one from the -ve HT coil terminal to the points. The points are closed most of the time which charges up the HT coil, when the points open the HT coil discharges via the spark plug. As far as I am aware the Dansi metal can coil is a capacitive discharge system (but I could be wrong here), I think Ivor will need an HT coil from an inductive discharge system such as a TY Yamaha (one with points), I think a TY is a 6V system so Ivor would need to check the voltage he is getting.

He will need two cables to make it work (which he already appears to have from the pictures) - one needs to go from the voltage coil to the HT coil (+ve terminal) and one from the -ve HT coil terminal to the points. The points are closed most of the time which charges up the HT coil, when the points open the HT coil discharges via the spark plug. As far as I am aware the Dansi metal can coil is a capacitive discharge system (but I could be wrong here), I think Ivor will need an HT coil from an inductive discharge system such as a TY Yamaha (one with points), I think a TY is a 6V system so Ivor would need to check the voltage he is getting.

Thanks for all the input chaps, have had a mate who's an auto electrician have at look at the set up and he's fairly confidant it will spark.

The HT coil I was hoping to use is a new blue plastic one I got from In Motion for the 200.

If we can get this set up working, any ideas or information on how we set up the timing and what should the timing be set at?

Will get my mate to check what voltage I'm getting.

Do you think I should pick up a new contact breaker for a Yamaha TY and as I'm new to trials bikes what year were the Yamaha's on points?

Any input would be great and thank you all again for your help in this matter.

Will let you know if my mate has any joy with getting a spark into the old girl.

I think the award for the tightest trialer has to go to the one that put that mess in.Why would someone do this??

I would take the wise step and try and grab the 200 engine thats on ebay at the moment,you might still have the fixings on your case so the original stator will fit if not you have the cases from the new engine.

I think the award for the tightest trialer has to go to the one that put that mess in.Why would someone do this??

I would take the wise step and try and grab the 200 engine thats on ebay at the moment,you might still have the fixings on your case so the original stator will fit if not you have the cases from the new engine.

I am looking at that spare engine on Ebay, he wasn't just tight. The chap that had the bike before me was also the worlds worst welder. His 'fix' for things wasn't 'lets have a look at getting a spare', it was lets see what a dab of weld will do...............

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at that spare engine on Ebay, he wasn't just tight. The chap that had the bike before me was also the worlds worst welder. His 'fix' for things wasn't 'lets have a look at getting a spare', it was lets see what a dab of weld will do...............

Just to keep you up to date with progress on the old girl, had a mate come round for a beer who rides a Yamaha TY175 and after looking at the mess I had in my engine shot off home, brought his spare coil round and within 10 mins we had a good strong spark. I'm still on the hunt for a new set of case's so I can put the bike back to how she should be. Steve has very kindly lend me the correct stator plate and flywheel, just need the case's but I have a mate working on that (any news Lee?). So the state of play is the old girl now fires up and runs which is why I've fallen in love with her all over again. Many thanks for everybodys help and comments, its now time to ride her and enjoy her......