Beta 260 zero clutch problem

caspernl

Hello fellow trial bikers,

I just bought a fairly descent Beta 260 zero, after checking the fluids (and completely refilling the cooling liquid) i tried the bike out for a little test run.

The following problems arose:

The clutch seems to have 4 gears, and i can barely get it into first from neutral, and from first to neutral.

The first gear also seems to lack any real power, i tried getting the front wheel in the air but i stopped cause the revs where getting a bit high and it didn't even pull in the suspension.

This was easily possible on a montesa 350 i rode just recently ( i know it has more cc's but i thought its an older type).

Weird thing is when iam at a higher speed it has allot of power.

Also when iam in ( i think ) first gear it responds choppy when at low speeds.

Am i right to think the clutch plates are worn and that this causes the problem?

Or maybe the change in chain wheel sizes?

am i right that this bike has a one down rest up clutch?

And that it has six gears and not 4?

Is there any rider out there that rides the same type of bike as me or has ridden it, and can tell me the characteristics/specs of this bike when it runs good?

Or any trial rider with an opinion on this for that matter.

Thanks,

You did not mention the year or color? You are probably correct about the clutch plates. The 92 and 93 worked great. I would pull the water pump cover off and check for corrosion. It was a six speed beta`s usually shift well.

Edited by lineaway

You did not mention the year or color? You are probably correct about the clutch plates. The 92 and 93 worked great. I would pull the water pump cover off and check for corrosion. It was a six speed beta`s usually shift well.

Just pulled the clutch plates off, they look a bit worn but the false neutrals still persist.

Still cant get higher then 4th gear.

Iam pretty sure the problem is in the gear box.

The gear selector doesnt catch a gear after trying like 4 times above the second gear.

Dont know what to do, since parts are rare for this bike.

Maybe take the whole block apart, but if the gears are broken then i guess its game over.

Found the problem, the gear selector plate is worn so it doesnt push the selector all the way round.

Going to ask if the beta dealer can get a new selector plate, if not then iam going to weld a bit on the plate and file it down until its good again.

Iam not used to tinker on offroad style bikes, compared to a road bike with full fairings this is a dream to work on :lol: .

• 1 month later...

I caught this thread late and hope you have made some progress on the problem.

If you do a search you will find a link for the Zero 90-93 parts manuals. There is a difference between -92 and 93 models in the clutch as there is an additional plate that is made like a friction plate but it is a drive plate and goes up against the drum. If the wrong clutch stack was installed it may have caused a problem/slipping or not disengaging which might cause the worn out shifter.

The remaining stack is the same. If you have wear in the transmission it might be a good idea to flush/rinse with some kerosene and refill with high quality gear oil.

Parts from older models like SYNT etc. might interchange.

Found the problem, the gear selector plate is worn so it doesnt push the selector all the way round.

Going to ask if the beta dealer can get a new selector plate, if not then iam going to weld a bit on the plate and file it down until its good again.

Iam not used to tinker on offroad style bikes, compared to a road bike with full fairings this is a dream to work on :lol: .