Is there such a thing as a second hand oset 12.5

Our kids have grow up with our bikes and trike(road use only)and now are driving me mad wanting 1.Been all over the web and the oset definatly seem the best all arounder,but where are all the second hand ones?? I can get a 50cc piece of rubbish for

They are tough to get hold as they are so new and popular. They also tend to be a hand me down little brothers (and sisters) want to get their hands on. I'd keep an eye out and attend a few OSET trials to see if anybody is "trading up" soon so you can get first "dibs" on any that will be sold.

• 3 weeks later...

Got to admit it's a tough one. The Yorkshire Centre does tend to be a Hot bed for Trials generally and Small Wheeling is a bit of a speciality for Yeadon Guiseley, Ripon and Richmond. Horsfroth and Spen Valley have also joined in and YG and Spen have riders from Wales travelling to their OSET events.

I put a wanted advert on here for one for my lad.

It did the trick and was offered two.

I bought the one closest to me and it was a good buy.

Unfortunatley, it seems classifieds have been taken off this site now, which i a real shame.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

I bit the bullet and bought new ones for my kids, first the 12.5 for £650 then later a 36v for £1100. It certainly was a lot of money but with three young children I know I will get the use out of them and once the last one out-grows each bike, I will have no trouble selling them on second hand.

The way I look at it, if the two bikes half in value over five years or so, then it's only cost me around £150 a year for my children to enjoy trials riding from a very young age.

IMG_0418.jpg

Remember the cheap 'market' chinese pit bikes that you see for £150 do not ride like trials bikes, whereas the Oset does. You can transport an Oset in the car boot as there is no fluids to worry about and the kids can ride it around the back garden and not annoy the neighbours.

They are expensive but for me it was money well worth finding.

Pete

I am inclined to buy a new one, it was what I wanted. I've never really thought of going second hand on something that he will use on an every day basis. the problem is he has just turned two, been ridign his strider since before he was 1. I've taken him to bmx tracks and he outdoes kids that are 5+ on his strider going down hills and such. only problem is the tires are foam so he gets alot of wobble due to them not absorbing the rubble. I'm in two minds whether to get him a specialized hotrock 12" because i think hes ready for pedals now and a proper bike.. with the hotrock costing 150, and the oset is 750 new ontop of the body armour and helmet i will need to pay for too its going to be over a grand before xmas which doesnt leave me alot of time to save up.

heres a couple of videos of him on his bike. this is around 1.5 - 2 years as I havnt got any recently.

308310_10150777113050331_628250330_20439941_2320968_n.jpg

301366_10150777081305331_628250330_20439533_4451159_n.jpg

311574_10150776306970531_722365530_20524805_6282470_n.jpg

320940_10150842988260331_628250330_20947134_941078531_n.jpg

Because of this dillema im thinking of selling my own trials bike to fund towards his own... hes so advanced I dont want to stop now or have him wait.. even it it means he may have to wait till february to get an oset, I think having a pedal bike now and taking him to more bmx's will benefit him more as he will only be riding on flat for the time being on an oset first anyways.

Im taking him here at the weekend, its a new bmx course thats been build about an hour away from where I live.

http://www.bmxtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30653&start=20

What would you do being that you can only afford one up until xmas? Would you steer more towards the pedal bike first?

Edited by jonnybmac

My kids started on the strider type bikes from 18 months, but still prefered them to a pedal bike up to about 4 years old. The 12" pedal bikes don't really go any faster than the push bike due to the low gearing, but weigh about 4 times as much. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to get him a pedal bike. On the other hand the JD bug trainer bikes we had, had proper pneumatic tyres which I think is a big advantage over the foam ones.

The ability to get both feet on the ground makes a big difference to balance and confidence on obstacles though. Mine were really keen on all the obstacles at a local park on the trainer bikes, but on pedal bikes still go around most of them years later. They both also had a strong tendency to want to use their feet to stop at first on the oset. I don't know if the 12.5 is better, but my youngest couldn't really use the brakes on the 16" oset until about 5 years old, even though he was proficient at skids on the trainer bike which had a similar rear band brake, but a different lever.