Rear wheel is set askew

lian

Lately i start notice i can't make straight wheelie... but last year i could. 1-st i thought i lost skills but when i have try friend's bike it was very good and straight. So i switch back to mine and again - wheelie to a side.

I checked visually my rear tire and it was askewed a little like slash "/" (picture showing exaggerated tilt, picture have normal wheel).

I put it off and turn axle contrary. But it helps just a bit.. tilt is present but a little less.

Now i don't know what could cause this... swingarm is magnesium so it can't be bent/curved.. no craks. And it is not loosen spokes - wheel is always tilted in one side (spokes are hard).

Need help pls!

18825412.jpg

As you say a bent wheel won't produce this result so you must have bent something else, most probably the swinging arm. Magnesium is not as strong as aluminium. I'd take the swinging arm off and lay it on a piece of plate glass to check for straightness and after that its the frame! What have you been up to Lian?

Lian, also check to make sure the swingarm bolt (the 20mm long mushroom head bolt that screws into the swingarm pivot shaft) has not snapped its head off. It is hollow so it can break fairly easily.

Edited by Spark

Perhaps compare the swing arm with a known good one? Do you have a friendly Gas Gas dealer near you?

Perhaps you could also check the horizontal alignment of the rear wheel spindle, with the bike as near vertical (upright) ? although this could be difficult to do as the wheel is clearly skewed.

If the tilt 'improves' by turning the spindle, could the spindle also be bent?

Good luck.

Lian, also check to make sure the swingarm bolt (the 20mm long mushroom head bolt that screws into the swingarm pivot shaft) has not snapped its head off. It is hollow so it can break fairly easily.

If we're guessing (that's all we can do with a photo) then above diagnosis is where I'd place my bet. :agreed:

I've seen an example of 'de-formation :blink: ' where the swing arm pivot goes through the frame then the back of the engine on a pro...not pretty :(

If we're guessing (that's all we can do with a photo) then above diagnosis is where I'd place my bet. :agreed:

I've seen an example of 'de-formation :blink: ' where the swing arm pivot goes through the frame then the back of the engine on a pro...not pretty :(

With that type of angle, I'd check that also. If the swingarm axle has snapped, the pieces still would be held in place by the rear clamps on the engine, unlike most engines that do not use the clamp design which would make the snapped axle fairly obvious.

Jon

Lowbrow

I ride not hard, so i think i couldn't bent swingarm with my style - easy trials, parapets/drop offs below 90-100cm, etc.

Stecks

Wheel spindle is straight - have cheked it out the wheel. I can't compare with another swingarm - no dealers, only 1 mate in other town..

laser1

Photo is old, but now sproket set ok, it is maybe just camera angle:)

Spark

Mushroom head bolt is ok, and swingarm axle seems to be good too.

Axle set in engine clamps without something suspicious, and goes through frame side "holes", so i can't notice any skewness of swingarm in link "frame, engine clamps, frame".

18830751_0.jpg

But is it ok to have some distance between frame and swingarm from 1 side (left).

18830734_0.jpg 18830733_0.jpg

Edited by Lian

I have watched old pics, when i just bought the bike and tryed to see is there that distance between frame and swingarm..

18830734_0.jpg

But unluckly there was not good angle of shoot to see that, but i think, all was end-to-end..

Only this pic show this point, and i think there is no distance... right?

18835145_0.jpg

Therefore, if so, i will need to unscrew bolts that keep bashplate and frame, and turn in swingarm axle bolt to make frame end-to-end to swingarm? Is it right sequence?

I tried lean more right while doing wheelie, but it is impossible to keep bike straight.. too many efforts wasting and in the end it lean to the left - it's not the solution. But i will see if the peg will be in proper position after a turn axle bolt, i hope it helps, because all seems to be normal, hm.. very strange.

• 5 years later...

The gap between the frame rails and the ends of the swingarm mount holes is completely normal on a GG. This comes up all the time, and the first time I had the swingarm off and put it back together I thought something was screwed up as well, but again, it's normal. Think of it this way: the alternative would be that the swingarm extends all the way to the frame rails at the pivot point, and then what? Well, you've got your swingarm grinding on the frame, which is obviously no good. The gap is fine.

Edited by heffergm