the ultimate pre65 machine

leeross

Hi Guy's

Just had a calculate of 1958 prices to todays.

And a NEW Ariel HT5 in 1958 was about £210 OK.

So you should be able to buy the same machine today for £3723.30!!

So why is £10-11000 being paid,(elegedly) for a New machine.

Think about it. :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

Regards Charlie.

Hi Charlie, i am not trying to defend the price, but i think your price index is out when looking at bike prices.. a "new" enfeild manufactured in India is up to £5,800 on the road, so i would guess an areil would be around the £6K mark ?

A low volume hand assembled competition machine using the best available parts is not goinging to be cheap..

The real question is why would any one want to pay that sort of money.. looking at the Yorkshire classic championship results, very few riders seem to be interested in the competitive element of the sport. Not many riders turn out for enough events to win the championship, and those that do, often ride different bikes in different classes.

It seems to me that pre 65 is more of a hobby, an engineering challenge through the week to get something to ride on Sunday, come Sunday its a chance to have the craic with a few like minded individuals while getting a bit muddy..

One of the Yorkshire members has just put a plain bush engined cub together for less than £450.. it is not the prettiest bike, but he is not last in the results and he is enjoying riding the thing,

if some one wants to throw a load of money at something to join in the fun good luck to them, at least then when i need a new roller big end or whatever there just maybe someone around to sell me one.

Edited by alan