bigair

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand for trail (not trials) riding? '04-'08 bikes

• Beta
    • Gas Gas
    • Montesa
    • Scorpa
    • Sherco

I have a '99 Gas Gas TXT 270 and am looking to upgrade to something newer. My budget allows for something in the '04-'08 range. I have no trials clubs or competitions in my area, so I will only use it for trail and play riding. I don't want to start a brand bashing thread, but am wondering if one brand works and lasts better for trail (not trials) use. If you want to send me a PM or email (scrotis at hot mail dot com) I would really appreciate it. I know very little about trials bikes, because I am the only one in my area that has one. The little I do know is from my reading on here. Thanks.

My first tial bike was a 99 TXT 270 like yours. If I was into trail riding I would never concider changing. The good old 270 is extremely strong and reliable.

However if you really want to spend some money I would go for a 4 stroke witch excludes GasGas. Any other brand will do, but I must say the Montesas are really wonderful..

My thoughts

-Jan

I live in MT, in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. I start riding at 5300' and can go to 8000' in about 2 miles. When I say "trail" riding I mean very steep, very rocky trails. I have a KTM 300 XC-W that does pretty well, but for the real nasty trails or for when I decide to just make my own trail (private property) the trials bike comes in handy.

Can a guy still buy most parts for a '99 Gas Gas? It still runs very well, but everything is starting to get loose and rattley. If parts are available maybe I should just keep it and fix it up.

I have a '99 Gas Gas TXT 270 and am looking to upgrade to something newer. My budget allows for something in the '04-'08 range. I have no trials clubs or competitions in my area, so I will only use it for trail and play riding. I don't want to start a brand bashing thread, but am wondering if one brand works and lasts better for trail (not trials) use. If you want to send me a PM or email (scrotis at hot mail dot com) I would really appreciate it. I know very little about trials bikes, because I am the only one in my area that has one. The little I do know is from my reading on here. Thanks.

You have at least one local dealer that I know of,

http://mossyrocktrials.com/

and I rode an event in Butte in June.

There is no best Trials bike for Trail riding ! Trials bikes are for competing in a trial, are you on the right site for your needs ?

That is the mentality that has kept trials small. Trials bikes make great single track trail bikes.

• Like 1

I live in MT, in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. I start riding at 5300' and can go to 8000' in about 2 miles. When I say "trail" riding I mean very steep, very rocky trails. I have a KTM 300 XC-W that does pretty well, but for the real nasty trails or for when I decide to just make my own trail (private property) the trials bike comes in handy.

Can a guy still buy most parts for a '99 Gas Gas? It still runs very well, but everything is starting to get loose and rattley. If parts are available maybe I should just keep it and fix it up.

Trials Parts USA will likely have whatever you need,just call them.

This is not a direct answer to your question but something that may be a major consideration is the GEARING.

I was considering a Montesa 4t until I learned from a fiend that it has a REDICULOUSLY large gap between 3rd and 4th gears that results in a 47% RPM drop on the upshift. My Beta 4t on the other hand has a much more reasonable 38% drop between these gears.

It's not that a Montesa can't pull the 3/4 gap. Rather it is that it means you are often forced to choose between buzzing the engin and lugging it. Most any 6 speed (2T) will also have smaller gaps.

For trail riding, the Montesa 4rti is hard to beat. Any time I'm just going for a trail ride, I'll take it over my '10 GG 300. Its even better in the mountains where there are big elevation changes. IMO the suspension works better on the trail than the GG, it gets far better gas mileage, doesn't overheat on long trail climbs and doesn't require rejetting. The extra weight isn't an issue on a trail ride. Sure there is a jump between 3rd and 4th, but, every trials bike I've ever ridden has a jump between the trial gears and the road gears. The gap between 3rd and 4th on the Montesa isn't any more annoying than the gap between 4th and 5th on the GasGas or Beta. FWIW I'm leaving for a Colorado trail ride vacation next week. I have an '07 Montesa 4rti, a '10 GG 300, a '05 KTM 300 and an '07 YZ450F. The bike I'm taking for the Colorado mountain trails is the Montesa...the same bike I took up there a couple weeks ago.

What's all this 4 stroke talk? No one made a 4 stroke trials bike between 04 & 08 and if that's the budget then 4 stroke is going to be out. I say if like your current bike then stick to the brand and get a newer one. I had an 04 and 06 gasser and both were good to ride and pretty trouble free.

So my 07 4rt was a figment of my imagination then???????????????

if you think a gas gas will work at that elevation without modifications to the carb you know nowt.

05 for sale here too

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Montesa-4rt-Trails-Bike-/170688674331?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27bdd67a1b

Edited by Nigel Dabster