bigair

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which brand for trail (not trials) riding? '04-'08 bikes

• Beta
    • Gas Gas
    • Montesa
    • Scorpa
    • Sherco

It seems all trials bikes made in the last 12 years or so have the huge gap in gearing between the section gears and road gears. 70's and 80's trials bikes were great as trail bikes. My 1995 bike also works well as a trail bike with it's evenly spaced gearing. I also think the older, heavier bikes feel more stable on the trails.

The best trials bike for trail riding is, possibly, any one you can actually sit on. My Beta 200 though I would happily ride any distance standing up but I've no idea on the altitude effect at that height. Gaps between ratios have never been a problem on the rough for me.

"I think the noise plays a part now as well so quiet machines, ............... are the way forward." Which rules out the 4RT.

I'm sure the guys who lay out the SSDT have found that the 4RT is a bit greedy on petrol too - they have had to recalculate the fuel stops for them.

After some more research I see that I do have a few events that aren't too terribly far away. I definitely want a real trials bike, not a T-Ride or Alp, because I want to learn to do tricks that are only possible on a trials bike. Also, now that I know that there are some events semi-close I will probably enter some of them as well.

I really like the look of the Shercos and have found an '09 Access 2.9 that is in my price range, but the Shercos aren't getting any love as trail bikes. The '09 Accesses use the '05 4T frame that I think I have read is stronger than the '06-'09 frame, which should be good for a trail bike. How does the 5 speed in the Shercos compare to the 6 speeds in the other 2Ts? Does it just have a little wider spacing 1-3 and still have two road gears or does it use similar spacing 1-4 and only one road gear?

I also found an '07 Scorpa SY 250R. I like the fact that Scorpa offers the Long Ride seat and tank.

Thanks for the input so far.

A couple of weeks ago, I rode the 'expert' loop of a local trail ride on my Montesa 4RT. Loved it. The riders on KTM enduro bikes watched in envy as I rode everything feet up. Was a little tight and technical. Most of the time I was in fourth - the 4RT pulls away from almost nothing in fourth. Third when there were rock steps or rutted downhills. Was 25km so carried and extra litre of fuel but didn't need it. I have a seat for the bike but have never used it! Was a great workout. This bike just never misses a beat and seems ideal for tight trail rides.

Andrew

• 6 months later...

FrankenBeta - This Thing is WONDERFUL!!!

09 Beta Evo 300 4t with EXTENSIVE mods (see below) to make it an ultimate OLD guy trail bike.

The 300 4t is AMAZING and great for riding the really gnarly stuff AND should be good for me when I get too OLD and fat (I'm only 69 and 200 lbs. now) to ride my KTM in the dirt. Believe it or not, it is actually quite comfy to ride even sitting on the seat as long as you are not going really fast over rocks/logs, etc.

Long Ride Kit (1.1 Gallon Aux Tank & Seat)

Scotts Stabilizer

BBR Seat at Normal Trail Ride Height

16" Rear Wheel (More Rake & Trail & Lower Pegs)

Full Knobys 21" Front & 16" Rear

6" Rise Jitsie Handlebars

Thicker Fork Oil in Right Fork ONLY for Increased Dampening

Significantly Stiffer Front and Rear Spring

Max Damping on Rear Shock

Lowered Shifter

Acerbis Rally Pro X Rally all plastic Handguards

Tool Bag Under Seat

Garmin eTrex GPS on Handelbar

you can get another tank thast clips onto the front though such as this:

hebofueltank.jpg

trials bikes do well on trails that require alot to get through.. me and my friends often go down the woods and go on treks just picking a path and seeing where it goes.. the proper trail bikes are designed for single paths with a few obsticles, from what the op described he is after something abit lighter that he can move around more if he gets stuck... trials bikes are good because you can lift them over/under tree's ect that are in the way to continue on.

I trail ride my 08 Scorpa SY250R all the time. The Five Miles of Hell is an example. Fuel capacity is the problem for trail riding any trials bike, but that's easily fixed.

Here's my set up for extra gas. Just took an old number plate, two aluminum bicycle water bottle holders and two one liter aluminum bottles for an extra 2 liters of gas, then after the trail ride it only takes a minute to remove it and put my number plate back on for the weekend trial.

fuel_bottles.jpg