M156 What to do with it?

sherpavin

Hi,

This is my first post here and what a great site with loads of information. Earlier this year I bought two Bultacos, M159, and basket case M156. I have gone through all the mechanical parts of the M159, engine tranny, carb, etc so I know I would have a solid bike when I ride it, might end up restoring it rest of the way cosmetically this winter. Learned a lot about the Bultaco working on the M159. So I got the M159 ride ready, and needed something else to work on so I started on the M156 which I planned on doing a full restoration from the start.

Problem I have been enlightened about is that some of the parts are hard to get for this bike unlike the M159 (Not very many made in this size model sherpa lobito/frame/engine?!). Need front forks and front rim, rim is badly bent, one fork had been broke at the axle clamp and badly repaired, the other fork for some reason the fork tube had been bored out and the seal sits way down in the leg about 3-4 inches farther than normal?! Cylinder needs bored and a oversized piston. That what I have found so far. The bike is about 95% complete (Only big thing I found missing is handlebars). I'm trying to decide what to do with the bike without spending too much money than the bike will be worth.

Anybody know of parts availability for this 125cc?

Would I be able to fit a 250cc perhaps on the bottom end, If so I believe that I would also have to change out the crank because of different stroke?

By the looks of it I believe the steering stem is same size on my M159 as my M156 so I probably could get a front end trees, forks, and all from larger framed sherpa and make it work on this frame?

Or maybe customize it with newer parts possible, front end, rear wheel?

Or maybe part it out?

Any suggestions or insight on what you might do would be appreciated, trying to come to cost effective solution for the bike to make it worthwhile restoring it as there is no big Trials scene in my area, just work on these and other bikes of mine for fun but don't want to work on a money pit. :)

Thanks,

Chris

Picture of the M159 as I bought it in February.

IMG_0460.JPG

Basket Case M156

Picture%20002.jpg

Hi,

This is my first post here and what a great site with loads of information. Earlier this year I bought two Bultacos, M159, and basket case M156. I have gone through all the mechanical parts of the M159, engine tranny, carb, etc so I know I would have a solid bike when I ride it, might end up restoring it rest of the way cosmetically this winter. Learned a lot about the Bultaco working on the M159. So I got the M159 ride ready, and needed something else to work on so I started on the M156 which I planned on doing a full restoration from the start.

Problem I have been enlightened about is that some of the parts are hard to get for this bike unlike the M159 (Not very many made in this size model sherpa lobito/frame/engine?!). Need front forks and front rim, rim is badly bent, one fork had been broke at the axle clamp and badly repaired, the other fork for some reason the fork tube had been bored out and the seal sits way down in the leg about 3-4 inches farther than normal?! Cylinder needs bored and a oversized piston. That what I have found so far. The bike is about 95% complete (Only big thing I found missing is handlebars). I'm trying to decide what to do with the bike without spending too much money than the bike will be worth.

Anybody know of parts availability for this 125cc?

Would I be able to fit a 250cc perhaps on the bottom end, If so I believe that I would also have to change out the crank because of different stroke?

By the looks of it I believe the steering stem is same size on my M159 as my M156 so I probably could get a front end trees, forks, and all from larger framed sherpa and make it work on this frame?

Or maybe customize it with newer parts possible, front end, rear wheel?

Or maybe part it out?

Any suggestions or insight on what you might do would be appreciated, trying to come to cost effective solution for the bike to make it worthwhile restoring it as there is no big Trials scene in my area, just work on these and other bikes of mine for fun but don't want to work on a money pit. :)

Thanks,

Chris

Picture of the M159 as I bought it in February.

IMG_0460.JPG

Basket Case M156

Picture%20002.jpg

Looks to me you have a good working assortment there! This stuff is not always logical as far as cost, but still practicle. Look up Bultaco UK as well for parts, place a few calls, it is all good!

As far as I'm aware, pistons are a real problem for the 125cc Sherpa, forks are smaller diameter. The frame is duplex so remember the exhaust of the 250/350 model comes out right hand side biased, the 125 was a central exhaust port so the exhaust exits between the twin downtubes!

I have two such 125cc Sherpas, a later model and a M156 I bought for parts.

Your M159 looks a fine machine as is, pretty original kit in my opinion!

Big John