Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

I would guess that you dealer has found something and has reloaded map 13, or upgraded to it from an earlier map. It does not seem possible that after all your troubles everything is suddenly perfect, although I am glad for you that it seems to be better, it is too good a bike to be spoilt by a starting issue.

I hope it starts okay in the morning!

2012 started 1st kick cold today - amazing.

2011 - still terrible. I have just fitted Iridium plug tonight and fresh fuel, bike started 1st kick after this but it had been started a few hours before so I won't get too excited yet.

Also found the spark plug on the 2011 was only hand tight, also the plug was very black.

Tommorow will do a cold start on the 2011, I'm optimistic that the computer changes combined with the iridium plug and fresh fuel may do the trick.

I was critical of the Iridium plug initially as it didn't improve my starting, but now whatever is changed in the 2012 computer and that bike seems to be very easy to start now and maybe the Iridium plug is helping this??

Tommorow we are having a ride in preperation for a 2-day trial next weekend which will be the real test.

I regularly now give mine a good thrashing. I was a bit skeptical at first but my dealer soon put me on the right track by thrashing the

b%ll%cks of it right in front of me. I was wincing when he did it but once he had and showed me the difference in what was coming out of the exhaust before and after I was amazed at how less smokey it was.

2012 started 1st kick cold today, thats 2nd day in a row its started 1st kick cold. I did stall it at one point and it took about 6 kicks to start but otherwise it was starting 1st kick hot.

2011 with fresh iridium plug and fuel started 3rd kick today cold which is good. When left sit it took my Dad about 10 kicks and it didn't go but I got on it and it went in 3 kicks. Jury is still out on the 2011 but 2012 is starting 800% better since the dealer connected the computer (and claimed to do nothing).

Edited by DeonAttard

The 2012 is still starting 1st kick cold so I'm declaring it fixed for now.

The 2011 though is starting worse than it did before the dealer turned up the idle. Here are the settings on both bikes provided by the dealer.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Following are the settings for the two bikes. All settings are from idle.

2011 Ossa

TPS Angle 5.1 Degrees

TPS Voltage .630

Idle – approx. 1550 RPM

2012 Ossa

TPS Angle 5.1 Degrees

TPS Voltage .552

Idle – approx. 1500 RPM

Deon

Just a thought.

The Fuel may be causing an issue. I was having plug fouling (black, gooey mess on the plug - Iridium ) and the bike runnig really rough off the bottom. I was using unleaded, 95ron, but have now gone to 100 RON at 110:1 mix, also changed to Belray 75W oil. Difference was noticable almost immediatly, fouling almost gone, bike runs cleaner, clutch engagement is really good (half way out not all the way) and clutch drag is better at cold.

This may help

Mark

We were already using 100 RON fuel to begin with but the importer advises to use low-octange fuel.

I don't think the fuel is making any difference but we've tried a few different mixes.

I now have Shell standard unleaded fuel mixed at 110:1 using Motorex Cross Power 2T synthetic oil. I have the same fuel in both bikes as I syphon it out and replace the fuel. The 2012 is going first kick. The 2011 is intermittant. Sometimes 3 kicks cold, sometimes more than 10. The 2011 is not yet consistant so I think there is some other issue but so far I am not getting any suggestions.

For the clutch, I have some GRO 75W oil to test in the clutch, if I don't like this then I will order some Belray. I tested 10w/30 GRO and it is OKAY but the clutch drags when cold. Once warm it is working normally.

I regularly now give mine a good thrashing. I was a bit skeptical at first but my dealer soon put me on the right track by thrashing the

b%ll%cks of it right in front of me. I was wincing when he did it but once he had and showed me the difference in what was coming out of the exhaust before and after I was amazed at how less smokey it was.

...Howld on,stop the bus! :o

I thought these things wouldn't need clearing out if they didn't have a carb'?...what's the point of fuel injection if you still have to clear it's throat :huh: ?

...Howld on,stop the bus! :o

I thought these things wouldn't need clearing out if they didn't have a carb'?...what's the point of fuel injection if you still have to clear it's throat :huh: ?

Does not matter if its a 2 stroke, 4 stroke, fuel injected or carbed all engines need a good clear out every now and then, especially 2 strokes :moon:

Taff glad he's not a Geordie :huh: