Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

Easiest way to see it is become friends with Ossa Motor of Facebook and you will see it there.

HI THERE,

JUST "GOGGLE" THE SENTANCE "OSSA STARTING BY HAND" AND IT COMES UP WITH THE VIDEO THERE,ONLY RUNS FOR A FEW SECONDS,LOOKS INTERESTING THOUGH,WOULD BE NICE IF "OSSA" OFFERED IT TO ALL THERE EXISTING CUSTOMERS ,"BIKE OWNERS" FOR A REDUCED PRICE AND DON'T JUST INCLUDE IT ON THEIR NEW MODELS!

HI THERE,

JUST "GOGGLE" THE SENTANCE "OSSA STARTING BY HAND" AND IT COMES UP WITH THE VIDEO THERE,ONLY RUNS FOR A FEW SECONDS,LOOKS INTERESTING THOUGH,WOULD BE NICE IF "OSSA" OFFERED IT TO ALL THERE EXISTING CUSTOMERS ,"BIKE OWNERS" FOR A REDUCED PRICE AND DON'T JUST INCLUDE IT ON THEIR NEW MODELS!

I don't think Ossa has said it won't be available for the existing models as an add on, my money is on it will be available, let's wait to see. :popcorn:

i hope its as good as it looks, as thats the only

down side to mine, its a bit of a bugger to start

from cold, just dont think ive got the knack yet.

its been fantastic today in the snow and ice, its

gripped for england

:thumbup:

jsp

i hope its as good as it looks, as thats the only

down side to mine, its a bit of a bugger to start

from cold, just dont think ive got the knack yet.

its been fantastic today in the snow and ice, its

gripped for england

:thumbup:

jsp

turned my tickover up by 1/2 turn on the throttle body stop, helped with starting and stalling once warm it was kicking off first kick even in gear. The grip is far better tha I got on my gasser.

I don't think Ossa has said it won't be available for the existing models as an add on, my money is on it will be available, let's wait to see. :popcorn:

Hi there borus,just wondered if you have ever heard of any of Tr280's having (fouling spark plug) issues,have had mine about 4 weeks now and only on its third tank of fuel and third day out.

I went to a trial yesterday and by lunch time it had fouled the plug,very black looking but no visible signs of carbon bridging the electrode,i put the original NGK plug in that came with the bike and did another two laps of ten sections and same again, bit of a backfire then barley running.

I replaced the original plug the day i picked the bike up (new) with an identical heat range but NGK Irridium type and kept the original as a spare,i am using Motul Fully Sythetic Oil and Caltex 98 octane fuel,i had a similar problem to this many years ago with my Gasser (TXT 321) ,using BP (Ultimate) high octane unleaded and Synthetic oil,would blacken plugs servereley in a couple of hours then give a bit of a backfire then stop,i changed fuel brands,same oil and then had the same plug for the next 7 years!

I am mixing the oil/fuel ratio at 110:1 as per book,90mls oil to a 10 litre container of fuel?

Regards,digga.

Edited by digga

Mine was doing that after running ok for 1 or 2 hours

it wouldnt start, i would then change the plug and it

would fire into life. i took it back to my dealer

where he backed off the mixture and reset the

throttle position sensor and its been fine ever

since "touch wood".

jsp

Hi there borus,just wondered if you have ever heard of any of Tr280's having (fouling spark plug) issues,have had mine about 4 weeks now and only on its third tank of fuel and third day out.

I went to a trial yesterday and by lunch time it had fouled the plug,very black looking but no visible signs of carbon bridging the electrode,i put the original NGK plug in that came with the bike and did another two laps of ten sections and same again, bit of a backfire then barley running.

I replaced the original plug the day i picked the bike up (new) with an identical heat range but NGK Irridium type and kept the original as a spare,i am using Motul Fully Sythetic Oil and Caltex 98 octane fuel,i had a similar problem to this many years ago with my Gasser (TXT 321) ,using BP (Ultimate) high octane unleaded and Synthetic oil,would blacken plugs servereley in a couple of hours then give a bit of a backfire then stop,i changed fuel brands,same oil and then had the same plug for the next 7 years!

I am mixing the oil/fuel ratio at 110:1 as per book,90mls oil to a 10 litre container of fuel? Regards,digga.

what map are you on? Map 12 there are no issues. also, make sure you give it a good 6th gear run from time to time as you would all trials bikes to keep it breathing right. Also, no one should adjust the trottle body without setting the throttle position with the diagnostic tool. My golden rule to everyone, please don't touch the throttle body. :)

cheers

Edited by borus

what map are you on? Map 12 there are no issues. also, make sure you give it a good 6th gear run from time to time as you would all trials bikes to keep it breathing right. Also, no one should adjust the trottle body without setting the throttle position with the diagnostic tool. My golden rule to everyone, please don't touch the throttle body. :)

cheers

Agreed thats what caused my problems, bad advice from

the dealer i bought it from, i spoke to Nigel Birkett

and he arranged for me to take it to a more qlued up

dealer and i wont be going anywhere else. map 12

is also a slightly better map, seems to run cleaner

rev more and tick over a bit faster.

jsp

Hi Digga,

Have found Shell has by far the best quality fuel around our area in both the Trials bike ( 91 unleaded),and high performance (98 Premium) motors.

I use 91 unleaded, definitely no ethanol added fuels.. The choice of oil is very important and Motul would not even be on my radar after the gumming up problems it produced with other new Trials machines I had used it in.

Motorex Cross Power fully synthetic is recommended by the Aussie Ossa distributor and have had no problems in both the 2011 and 2012 models..

Only problem I have encountered was after an air filter clean and replace on my 2011 Ossa. After only 20 minutes of ride time it developed the same symptoms you described, missing, backfire and stop. Removing the plug it was BLACK and very sooty.

What had caused this was the pull through rubber toggle when replacing the filter was not 100% seated and was sucking air. When this oversight was corrected it fixed the problem.

How was the Trial ?

Steve.

Hi Digga,

Have found Shell has by far the best quality fuel around our area in both the Trials bike ( 91 unleaded),and high performance (98 Premium) motors.

I use 91 unleaded, definitely no ethanol added fuels.. The choice of oil is very important and Motul would not even be on my radar after the gumming up problems it produced with other new Trials machines I had used it in.

Motorex Cross Power fully synthetic is recommended by the Aussie Ossa distributor and have had no problems in both the 2011 and 2012 models..

Only problem I have encountered was after an air filter clean and replace on my 2011 Ossa. After only 20 minutes of ride time it developed the same symptoms you described, missing, backfire and stop. Removing the plug it was BLACK and very sooty.

What had caused this was the pull through rubber toggle when replacing the filter was not 100% seated and was sucking air. When this oversight was corrected it fixed the problem.

How was the Trial ?

Steve.

Hi Steve,thanks to all you guys that replied to my post! I still believe its a fuel/oil related problem,but i need to check that air-cleaner fitment,are you talking about the tube thats part of the air-clener element that attaches to the throttle body OR the rubber sensor you remove on the side of the air-cleaner box prior to filter removal?

The trial was at Maroon Dam (Rathdowney) QLD,it was a hell hot day,with a storm just after lunch,made the sections change slightly,there was one other Ossa there,2012 same as mine.

Thanks,digga( Peter)

I am mixing the oil/fuel ratio at 110:1 as per book,90mls oil to a 10 litre container of fuel?

Regards,digga.

Digga

Put in an Iridium Plug but must be the "R" BP5RES I think is the designation. OSSA bikes in the hands of us clubman riders are so good pottering around that we do load them up a bit. A rev up every so often and us the iridium plug. Fuel and fuel over 95 RON but only get it from a high volume garage. As you need fresh fuel. 110 to 1 no less. Let the bike warm up (fan on)

Mark

Hello all. Another thing is in Australia all of the VMX guys swear that the only fuel to use is BP ultimate as it is the most consistant fuel around. The octane rating goes up and down a bit in the others. Bully Lover.

Edited by bullylover