Ossa TR 280i hard to start

scorpatic

Guest tobeee

Mine has taken up to 20 kicks! Either standing over the bike with left foot on the floor, or standing on the bike with both feet and leaning the bike against the garage wall. Assumed it was my weediness and the bike's well-documented hard starting. However,a revelation last week when I left the bike on the sump stand (workshop stand or whatever those stool things are called!) and it started second kick! Just being up on the stand allowed me to give it a really strong and straight kick! Tried it again a few days later and same result, so I'm happy now! Map11 by the way.

Hi Tobeee

I had Map 11, nice to ride with but always felt dead when starting. Went to Map 13 and start is much better, 1st kick most times cold - hot what ever. I have noticed that even the smallest throttle movement when kicking over can make the bike harder to start.

Top of stroke, good hard and sharp prod down and back - lean over the handle bars as you kick it over. Will be good with the battery pack, amazed it was not on all the bikes to start with - a battery on any fuel injected bike makes firing up at kick starting so much easier.

So OSSA, make this part a CHEAP UPGRADE - if you put it on the "Factory bikes" as standard ,,,,, put it on all bikes at low cost --- then the forums on hard starting will stop

I called our dealer and found out that both my bikes have Map 13 already. I don't know how hard they are to start on the Map 11 and 12 but it must be pretty bad if this is an improvement.

Took me about 10 kicks to start them last night. I'll keep practicing but we are desperate for the battery packs. I just emailed Ossa from their website to see if they would help as the distributor doesn't have much info on the battery packs as yet.

Hi Tobeee

I had Map 11, nice to ride with but always felt dead when starting. Went to Map 13 and start is much better, 1st kick most times cold - hot what ever. I have noticed that even the smallest throttle movement when kicking over can make the bike harder to start.

Top of stroke, good hard and sharp prod down and back - lean over the handle bars as you kick it over. Will be good with the battery pack, amazed it was not on all the bikes to start with - a battery on any fuel injected bike makes firing up at kick starting so much easier.

So OSSA, make this part a CHEAP UPGRADE - if you put it on the "Factory bikes" as standard ,,,,, put it on all bikes at low cost --- then the forums on hard starting will stop

Perhaps send a link to this thread to the ossa importers and ossa themselves.

i really believe that if there is a problem then solving it is good pr surely?

I don't care what the ISS pack costs, I want two of them :-) The dealer said they should cost about $200 each but obviously that isn't confirmed.

The dealer insists that starting is all in the technique - I don't know how many different ways I can kick but I've tried a fair few methods. The event we are doing this weekend will have another Ossa rider there so we are hoping he can show us how to swing it.

I think I'm getting a muscle imbalance in my right leg :-)

map 13 starts easily, give it a stong smooth kick and don't touch the throttle. however if you want a bike to start in a 1/2 an easy kick then the ISS is the way to go as an add on for the 2011's and 12's. I have used both, this is not guess. I was asked to try starting an ISS bike with a half kick, while trying to edge the kick lever down to the 1/2 position the bike started. We all had a good laugh about it. The ISS is on the Replicas and Explorers this spring and is planned to be installed on the 2013's in the fall. I don't know what the price of the unit will be or when it will be available. To the question of what is Ossa doing about it, Ossa has been and is working hard to always improve and innovate. i.e. the ISS system and ever improving maps! cheers

ps - why would your Ossa start hard - bad gas, bad spark plug, dirty air filter, touching the throttle while starting, weak kick, not running the latest map, not giving the bike a good hard clean out rev and long 6th gear run, incoorect premix, - all of those issues are easily addressed by the rider.

I would agree with Borus here, I had some starting issues when running map 12 which were rectified by applying map 13, I also got a nice quicker tickover from 13 as well. The odd occasion that my bike takes more than 3-4 kicks to start is down to my technique....try as I might I still forget about the throttle and give it a little twist.....more self discipline required!

The ISS sounds like the solution to peoples issues, although price will be the deciding factor. Fuel Injection is a revelation compared to my previous bike, I would rather give it a few extra kicks than sacrifice the performance over my old carbureted bike.

• Like 2

I got an email back from Ossa today, they are now testing a NiMh battery and there is no ETA. I don't know if there was issue with the Lithium or they are looking for a more economical or better packaged solution perhaps.

The dealer is saying to start the kick with your foot away from the lever so you kind of strike at it to ensure its starting from the very top of the stroke. I can get them to start using this method however it doesn't feel very mechanically friendly on the starting mechanism or my foot for that matter.

One of our bikes has less than 1hr on it, the other one is used and I don't know how many hours are on it but probably only 20hrs or so as it looks like new..

Big thumbs up from me for map 13, bike started 3 kick from cold and first or second kick in gear when hot, the map is nice and smooth and the bike grips great we where riding some really slippy slots today and the bike flew up them. First time ever I have ridden a trial and not had a 5 on my card and I lowered my score on each lap as well. Well happy with the bike :D

did you manage to get you bike reset taff ?

i had map 13 loaded on to mine this week

first ride tomorrow so we shall see how

it goes. my dealer told me that with map

13 loaded you shouldnt need the LSS

start pack.

jsp

start pack.

jsp

I can see the dealer saying that the ISS is not needed with Map 13 as it is definitely so much easier to start...however, having a system that potentially makes it even easier to start (even with your hand) would be something that that I would just have to have!

start pack.

jsp

I went to Pennine Trialsport on Thursday and he reset my throttle sensor and remapped it.

its nice to alter your bikes settings and not have

a carb spreed all over the garage !!!!!

andys very good with ossa's

map 13 started from cold 4 kicks and 1 or 2 when

hot, one thing i have done is adjust the clutch

as i had a bit of drag, now thats gone the gearbox

feels miles better. :D

jsp