Maxton Shocks ?

axulsuv

Just wondering if any of you folks across the pond (besides Steve Saunders) have used the new to the market Maxton trials shocks ?

I've heard that they are the best out there , bar none ... Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them ?

Thanks for any info , and I know they are not cheap buy any measure !

Glenn

Are you going to enter against standard twin shock/fork bikes in trials ?

Or as a special ?

I ride in the standard twin shock class - there is no such thing as a twin shock special class as far as I know.

The key rules for twin shock trials is that the bike has to have been manufactured as a twin shock, have drum brakes and (i think) be air cooled - all of which my SWM meets the criteria for.

My forks are 38mm, the same size as on the later SWM Jumbo and has twin rear shocks - the rear shocks are just the same as those used by Steve Saunders to win the pre65 Scottish this year - both within the rules for twin shock trials and the same as many riders are using on their twin shock bikes down here. The wheels, engine etc are all standard SWM stock, the frame has been modified but is mainly an 81 SWM frame.

Athough it looks quite different I can assure you that it is far less radical than most of the Fantics being ridden with air-cooled mono engines and forks and modified frames or yamaha mono based twin shocks.

Hi Guys,

I popped along to a local Stourbridge club trial on saturday to give the shocks a try.

The trial was pretty easy but there was some opportunity to practice on some decent sized steps and roots and I am really pleased with the results so far.

They are set up quite stiff but then I am around 17st in my riding gear and they have been set up for me so that is to be expected and was a little odd after riding shocks that have been too soft for some time.

What was noticeable was the supple performance on the small bumps and little roots followed by a progressive damping performance that soaked up much bigger hits, especially when hit at speed.

The other aspect that was impressive was the adjust-ability of the rebound damping. I normally like to set my rebound quite quick but found that with a correct spring weight I could slow the rebound down and still easily move the back end of the bike whilst having it more noticeably track the contour of the ground which should improve grip when the going gets a bit more slippery in the winter.

It is early days but so far so good!

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 months later...

Hate to drag up a old thread ... But how are the maxtons working and what do we think about rock shocks ? I may be in the market for some new suspenders soon !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Glenn

Hi Glen,

I rode the last half of the season on the Maxton shocks and I have found them to work very well indeed.

There has been a noticeable improvement in grip and they work flawlessly on the bigger hits that the previous Betors and Rock Shocks struggled with.

If I had any comment then I would like them to be a little more supple at the start of the stroke (on the very small bumps) but a dual rate spring would take care of that I'm sure. The thing is, I am on the large side and I am happy to lose a bit at the start of the stroke to achieve good results under more load.

The quality of manufacture is fantastic and I would recommend them if you were considering a purchase (similar money to Ohlins and Maxtons at