4RT - best set-up and mods

johnnyboxer

Foolwing on from this threadhttp://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/37766-4rt-wow-0/.............what's the best general set-up (I know someone will say they're all different)

Gearing?

Bars?

Clutch - which type and/or 315 M/Cylinder?

Throttle body - program/single or 2 stage?

Tyres?

Pegs?

etc

Anyone got good tips for the average Clubmen rider?

Edited by Johnnyboxer

Gearing? 9 front 43 rear sprockets, apparently this is quite popular down south and I liked it.

Bars? Rental fat bar

Clutch - which type and/or 315 M/Cylinder? Had the Dimple plates in my 315 which made a bit of a difference

Throttle body - program/single or 2 stage? ?

Tyres? Michelin

Pegs? .? Apparently, don't fit ti or alloy footrest hangers, as they don't flex and the frames break (from hitting things) at the mounting point. Repsol Reps are no longer getting the alloy hangers due to all the warranty claims on frames, although I'm at a loss as to why it doesn't get the footrests.

etc. Apico brake and clutch levers bent up so your Knuckles don't get touched (mr Colomer and Rod ;-) )

Foolwing on from this threadhttp://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/37766-4rt-wow-0/.............what's the best general set-up (I know someone will say they're all different)

Gearing?

Bars?

Clutch - which type and/or 315 M/Cylinder?

Throttle body - program/single or 2 stage?

Tyres?

Pegs?

etc

Anyone got good tips for the average Clubmen rider?

Mine is a 2005 ... bought a couple of years old, my first trials bike ever. Was a bit savage for a beginner! All mods have made it better for me.

Programmable throttle body with a custom map was a big improvement. Much softer off idle with extra fuel down low to soften engine braking (although engine braking didn't seem harsh).

315R clutch master cylinder improved the clutch, nice now although have Apico dimpled plates and Sureflex fibre plates yet to fit.

Mitani header pipe fitted -actually allowed it to pull from lower revs, felt softer again. Jitsie silencer (like a spark arrestor) lowered the tone of the exhaust and took the bark out and softened it off idle even more!

Replaced standard bars with Jitsie fatbars (needed adapters) ... nice bend.

Am running 10/44 gearing, the high idle not noticable with the custom map.

Raptor pegs on Jitsie hangers ... just feels so secure.

TRP rear shock made a massive difference in feel. A noticable improvement.

This bike just feels so right to me now ... like a comfy pair of boots. When I give it to a novice wanting to try trials, they come back with a big smile on their face. It may be milder off idle but still has plnty of power for the bigger obstacles I do (only a clubman rider). Is now over 600 hours old ... checked the valves at 450 hours, they were spot on, very regular oil changes and not really anything else. And still puts a really big smile on my face when I ride it which is what it is all about for me.

Have a look at my garage page,

Andrew

Edited by stkman

Mine is a 2005 ... bought a couple of years old, my first trials bike ever. Was a bit savage for a beginner! All mods have made it better for me.

Programmable throttle body with a custom map was a big improvement. Much softer off idle with extra fuel down low to soften engine braking (although engine braking didn't seem harsh).

315R clutch master cylinder improved the clutch, nice now although have Apico dimpled plates and Sureflex fibre plates yet to fit.

Mitani header pipe fitted -actually allowed it to pull from lower revs, felt softer again. Jitsie silencer (like a spark arrestor) lowered the tone of the exhaust and took the bark out and softened it off idle even more!

Replaced standard bars with Jitsie fatbars (needed adapters) ... nice bend.

Am running 10/44 gearing, the high idle not noticable with the custom map.

Raptor pegs on Jitsie hangers ... just feels so secure.

TRP rear shock made a massive difference in feel. A noticable improvement.

This bike just feels so right to me now ... like a comfy pair of boots. When I give it to a novice wanting to try trials, they come back with a big smile on their face. It may be milder off idle but still has plnty of power for the bigger obstacles I do (only a clubman rider). Is now over 600 hours old ... checked the valves at 450 hours, they were spot on, very regular oil changes and not really anything else. And still puts a really big smile on my face when I ride it which is what it is all about for me.

Have a look at my garage page,

Andrew

Excellent info :thumbup:

Now on my second 4rt and 4th year of riding them.

1st an 2005 ex Sandifords bike,

06 clutch plates,

315 clutch master cyl,

PTB with sains map.

Pretty much everything else as std and bullet proof.

2nd 2009 bike came with raptors, ptb, large front brake cyl, mitani sump guard, HRD brake lever.

Went back to std rear brake pedal, std footrests and hangers but just gone to S3 pegs (hebo style) and like them.

Ran a Sains map until recent but just modified bottom end to soften up a little.

Run std gearing as ride 99% in first.

Love Xlite tyres.

Run suspension mid damper settings and a maybe a little soft on springs to maximise compliance of bike to terrain.

Luv em to bits.

Was best rider on non champ route in recent S3 round in mid wales so bike must be ok as I'm closer to 50 than 40.

Decide what you like and how you ride and 4rt can normally be set up to suit. 09 on do seem to steer a little better.