observers

proc

didn't realise it was compulsory that if kids attended trials without riding they were expected to observe!!! maybe they just want to watch and have a walk round and enjoy themselves. perhaps if some riders weren't ignorant a***'s and actually said thanks after the observer has been stood there for 4hrs or so more people might volunteer their services!!!!!!!!!!! :wall:

didn't realise it was compulsory that if kids attended trials without riding they were expected to observe!!!

Why do you say this?

Although it is frustrating for the organisers when people decline to observe and then spend the whole trial walking around watching, it certainly isn't compulsory in any way.... is it?

Why do you say this?

Although it is frustrating for the organisers when people decline to observe and then spend the whole trial walking around watching, it certainly isn't compulsory in any way.... is it?

Just A comment that has been made over the weekend by an organiser :thumbup:

Just A comment that has been made over the weekend by an organiser :thumbup:

Shame on that organiser. We all struggle for observers and i am always gratefull for all and any help i can get especially from people who pick up the board but the way to get more help is not to try to brow beat people into observing.

as Pete_Scorpa3 says "Although it is frustrating for the organisers when people decline to observe and then spend the whole trial walking around watching, it certainly isn't compulsory in any way.... is it?" which i do agree with i am sorry that you had this said to you. Hope it hasnt put you or your kids off?

Odd really,observing is one of the best ways to find out what works and what does not in terms of riding a certain type of section.I often advise new riders to observe rather than just watching a trial,if you watch closely its amazing how much you can pick up.

But it can also be a thankless task - esp in cold or wet weather.Or if the section turns out to be a main road and takes no marks...

I spent most of last night phoning around our "list" of observers,which needs careful steering or you end up hearing an endless list of excuses.I've now worked out how to get a quick answer politely,so the phone bill at least stays sensible.

Somebody said something the other day that I didnt know and think it would help get more observers...

In the rule (not sure if it?) you cannot ask for your score from the observer.

Okay this might not work for punch cards, but I believe a lot of observers are put off by the thought of confrontation with riders who think they scored less.....

Also quick rant but some riders should really observe as well, as some just turn up and ride do nothing for any club, not provide an oberserver or offer themselves...... rant over...