Beta Suspension

nif40

I like to know If i put thinker oil rignt fork (have 5W) like 7 weight should this give me better rebound or the opposite. What bout adding more oil (less air space ) . I am trying to get faster rebound like the gas gas

Steven

Opposite. use the standard fork oil height. Have you tried backing out the rebound speed adjuster on the right fork leg? That seems to satify many people.

Yes i did. After riding a friend gas gas bike , i found the fork rebound was better on the gas gas that the beta.

Yes i did. After riding a friend gas gas bike , i found the fork rebound was better on the gas gas that the beta.

Quicker is not neccessarily better. You can try 2.5w shock oil, and become a human pogo stick! Or lust put a splash in to keep things lubed, then they are quick! :thumbup:

Guys a little Scots wisdom here. The forks are dead until you put energy into them. :agreed:

So, with that been said you can put the lightest oil one can find into the rebound fork all day long it will just sit there until you put some energy into it :agreed:

So where does this energy come from?

It comes from riding of course but more importantly it comes from having the front forks compress :agreed:

The more the front fork compresses the more energy will be stored in the spring :agreed:

The fork spring will now will try to release this energy by rebounding and the rebound oil will slow down the return energy :agreed:

So, the moral of this story is the light viscosity of rebound fork oil has to work in harmony with the compression fork oil and spring.

You can put in light rebound oil but if you can not compress the forks due to a heavy compression oil there will be little to no return energy.

There is a delicate balance between fork compression oil and rebound oil viscosity.

Try changing the compression oil to a lighter oil as well as the rebound oil :ph34r:

so billyT what would your recommendations for fork oil weights and quants be for 2010 300 evo, expert rider about 89kg.

reading your posts you sometimes say a 15w in compression side and 5w in rebound, others you say a 20w and 2.5w - I've got all the weights available, all PJ1 fork tuner

BillyT has a very good point. Try silkolene pro rsf 2.5 wt. in both fork legs. It is 13.6 cst. Set your oil height to the stock settings. 120mm for the spring side and 60mm for the non spring side.

If any of you want a copy of a very helpful pdf oil viscosity chart. Send me an email or personal message from my info page with your email address and i will send you a copy.

so billyT what would your recommendations for fork oil weights and quants be for 2010 300 evo, expert rider about 89kg.

reading your posts you sometimes say a 15w in compression side and 5w in rebound, others you say a 20w and 2.5w - I've got all the weights available, all PJ1 fork tuner

Dan

The oil viscosity variability suggestions I make depend on where you live i.e. weather. In Arizona we sometimes rode in 110 F I have also ridden in 40 F weather. This weather extremes will play havoc in your suspension performance.

Livlob is correct in following the manufacturers recommended oil levels, the viscosity however is up to you!

I start with 5 weight in the rebound and 7.5 in the compression.

Guys

Just as a reference point to what I an trying to say about getting energy in to the front forks and then getting a percentage of it back in the rebound stroke check out my video post (four stroke forum) of me on my old 4T Beta Evo. I shoot this video so I could check out the action and balance of my forks to the rear suspension a couple of years ago. Look how little energy goes into the the front forks and the rebound stroke. The bike is alive and moving quite easy from side to side.

Cheers :thumbup:

Guys

Just as a reference point to what I an trying to say about getting energy in to the front forks and then getting a percentage of it back in the rebound stroke check out my video post (four stroke forum) of me on my old 4T Beta Evo. I shoot this video so I could check out the action and balance of my forks to the rear suspension a couple of years ago. Look how little energy goes into the the front forks and the rebound stroke. The bike is alive and moving quite easy from side to side.

Cheers :thumbup:

cant find it?

On the topic of Beta suspension, I have a new Evo 300 2012 model. The front fork adjustment seems easy enough with a clicker on the right leg and a hex cap on the left. It looks like the method of adjusting the compression is to simply turn the red hex cap with an allen key which causes the red insert to screw up or down inside the cap of the fork leg. Removal of the tube cap reveals that the hex cap does indeed appear to be threaded inside the cap however...I have tried to turn the hex with an allen key and it is TIGHT to the extent that I doubt the soft ally will stand any more force without something going snap. Has anyone encountered this problem yet or do I just need to eat some spinach and look out a length of pipe for the end of my allen key before I give it another go?

You guys are thinking about this stuff too much. The EVO suspension gets better every year. Several owners of brand new Shercos and Gassers have all agreed the suspension on my '12 Beta is better than their bikes. And they thought the same thing about my '11, also.

You guys are thinking about this stuff too much. The EVO suspension gets better every year. Several owners of brand new Shercos and Gassers have all agreed the suspension on my '12 Beta is better than their bikes. And they thought the same thing about my '11, also.

To each their own I guess. Do you have a stock throttle cam, stock valves? :P