Dexron 111 aft in forks ?

cabby

I suspect ATF comes in closer to 10W in viscosity. Might make things a bit harsh in the newer forks, although some the old stuff seemed a bit more tuned for it!

Primary reason it works in forks its the "anti foaming" agents in the mix. :rolleyes:

Doubt the "stictsion" properties the same.

Edited by copemech

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure that ATF in forks wont foam?

Fork fluid is designed to not foam while in travel within the fork, and thats why regular motoroil in damping systems is not OK?

I am not saying that it absolutly will not foam in this application, however it Does have decent anti-foaming additives, and has been used many times, particularly in older bikes of several varieties, however, the newer bikes are tuned for 4-5w, and I may not reccomend it as it may be a bit harsh on the compression stroke. :thumbup:

• 6 years later...

ATF can be a fine choice to use in both a fork and rear shocks, however, other times it is less than good.

FWIW, in my KTM,I run Mobil 1 ATF, with great results.  This is in the fork only.

On the 73 OSSA MAR, as I did the rebuild, I used Mobil 1 ATF in both the forks and the Curnutt rear shocks.  After a few rides, it was apparent that both ends of the MAR were overdamped.  Ridable but not lively.  In the forks I switched to Maxima 5 wt fork oil.  They work well with that setup.  The rear shocks, originally specified running Ford ATF.  Consider these were state of the art in the early 70s.  Keeping this short, I swapped the rear shock fluid in the Curnutts to the same Maxima 5wt.  Noticeably improved, but still no spring in its step.  Ultimately, I had to make changes to the pistons bleed holes to get it sorted out.

All that said, use caution when going to a different fluid, it may make a drastic change, or may be fine.

This link is for Peter Verdones suspension fluid info he published a long while back.  Good info to keep things consistent when changing brands or viscosity of fluids.

http://www.peterverdone.com/suspension-fluids/